Chapter 2

Soren Rivers

I walked into Professor Coriander and Professor Syagrus' lab early the next morning. Usually I wasn't one to get up early but today was special, today I got to pick my first pokémon and start my journey to become the best trainer, possibly even champion! Walking through the automatic doors I found Professor Syagrus patiently waiting for me.

"Welcome Soren, I bet you're ready to see all the starters we have available to choose from today." She greeted me before leading the way towards a table where a large group of pokéballs were sitting. "Now have you thought about what one you want?"

Of course I had, that's all I had been thinking about... but there were so many to pick from. Charmander would become a powerful charizard but I had always loved mudkip too, especially its final evolution. I looked at the screen behind the table that displayed the pokémon in their pokéballs before seeing three new looking pokémon near the end of the line, the owl one looked like a good choice too...

"We also have other pokémon that aren't the traditional starters as well to look through if you'd like." Professor Syagrus paused as she noticed the direction of my gaze. "Oh yes, we just got those three straight from Alola. That one is Rowlet."

I nodded before moving back over to mudkip's pokéball, as cool as all the other ones were I had the perfect name for this one in mind. "I'll pick mudkip."

"Alright." She handed me the pokéball. "Why don't you call him out and get to know each other? I'll be right back with your pokédex."

I called out my new pokémon and grinned as mudkip gave a greeting. "Hey mudkip, I'm Soren."

"Kip!" It looked at me cheerfully.

"I'm going to call you Finn, do you like that name?"

"Mudkip" Finn gave another sound of joy before turning his head as a door opened. I looked up as well to see Professor Coriander walking out along with a girl who looked like another trainer, she was holding the black and red starter from Alola while a silver colored eevee was by her side.

"Wow, Is that a shiny Eevee?" I asked in surprise, they were already an uncommon pokémon to find but for one to be shiny and to see someone with said shiny, that was unexpected.

"Um, yeah." She nodded with a glance down at her pokémon. "Her name is Curse."

"I see. Where did you catch her?" I questioned, wondering if I could find one and fighting the urge to pet Curse.

"My parents bred her for me for when I started my journey, though I still had to wait a few years. I get to start now though!"

"That's good." I responded.

She nodded before glancing at Finn. "Hey, since you're a new trainer we should have a battle!"

"Okay." I agreed before walking outside with the other trainer behind me. "You ready Finn?"

"Kip!" Finn got into a battle stance while my opponent took her spot across from me.

"Alright, Curse, are you ready to battle?" She looked down at the silver eevee.

It gave a confident cry before running out to meet Finn on the unofficial battlefield. "Wait, you aren't using Litten? But it's your starter."

"Technically, Curse is since she's the first pokémon I got, but if you don't think Finn can win... I guess I could give you the type advantage."

"No way! I don't need a type advantage to win!" I was a bit insulted but the smile she had was making it hard to take the insult, if that's what it had been, seriously.