Chapter 28

Soren Rivers

I was aware of the warm blanket around me first as I started waking up. I rolled over with a groan as I opened my eyes, focusing on the figure staring at me from where she was curled up. The shiny umbreon got up and gave a cheery cry before jumping down and running out of the room, coming back a few moments later with Jay.

Relief swept through me and despite the fading ache through my body I sat up. "Jay..."

She took Curse's place on the edge of the bed and nodded tiredly, as if she hadn't been sleeping. "How you feeling?"

"Sore." I leaned forward and hugged her despite my words, I didn't care, I needed to hold her to reassure me she was there. "I'm glad you're okay... Is Freya alright?"

Jay pulled away gently, there was something like loss in her eyes but she didn't seem to be grieving. "Freya left. She got out before us and got help from the pokémon Rescue Members... they took her with them after they dropped us off here so she could start her training. Freya said she had originally meant to tell us and leave after we met up with Ivan but obviously Valhalla messed up that plan. She was fine though."

"I see..." I trailed off as I processed what she said. I was glad Freya was alive and well but I would miss her, especially since I couldn't say goodbye.

"We need to find Ivan and tell him what happened... he probably already thinks we're dead. After that... well... I'm not sure."

"Get stronger, fight the champion, take down Valhalla and their leader Tarot." I pulled away slightly so I could look her in the eyes. "I will keep you safe, they'll never lay a hand on you again, alright? I swear."

Jay pulled me against her again, her voice unsteady. "Soren... we thought you were going to die. We didn't know what was wrong, you wouldn't wake up, and your eyes... they were glowing blue. Don't do anything that will get you killed for my sake, that's what I want you to promise. I already lost enough, I won't lose you."

"I can't promise that."

"Guess I'll just have to beat you to the face off with Tarot then." Jay let go and stood up, walking over to the door before looking back at me. "We can leave whenever you feel well enough, I'm assuming Ivan is still in Xelen so we can take a plane there from here... or walk. I don't know which option would be safer with Valhalla still around."

"Where are we exactly other than 'here'?" I asked, getting up to follow her out despite the slight dizziness that went through me momentarily.

She came closer and let me lean on her. "Back at Risen. Valhalla hasn't been spotted around here after the day we were captured, though the news claims they're still prowling around near the capital... Tarot is staying there to 'protect' the king and queen."

"We'll stop him... or someone will. He can't just become King without question and Valhalla can't just disappear after he does, everyone in Drucan would know."

"Perhaps." Jay didn't seem to believe my theory. "He'll probably have it all planned out to make himself look like a hero."

I thought back to the time he'd saved us from Alice, he had seemed like a hero at the time, but now I was willing to bet he had been searching for us to keep an eye on where we were. Sure he had helped us out but that had been to gain our trust. It wouldn't be too difficult for him to trick the region, he acted like a hero, had the looks, and was even in a trusted position of power. Tarot was good at putting on a show. "You're right."

Jay shrugged as if not caring as she walked to her room across the hall and grabbing her bag and motioning for Curse that we were leaving. She grabbed my things from the chair and handed them over to me before walking out of the room. I followed her to the airport, our progress slower than our usual pace though I wasn't complaining about it; I still felt pretty tired.