Chapter 27

Jay Wolfe

I couldn't stop looking at the bloody white fur that was still on the ground from where Soul had been ripped apart. It was my fault he was dead... just like Torracat... if I hadn't tried acting tough when Hero attacked me directly he never would've taken one of my pokémon out so the grunts working with him could use it for entertainment. Soul had looked at me as he died, utter betrayal in his eyes before the mightyena and pyroar ripped too far into his neck and throat. My parents had been right... I should've never gone on a journey. What if Curse was next?

The door opened but I didn't look to see who it was, probably Hero to gloat... maybe torture me some more. It didn't matter. White and red caught my eye as the figure came closer and I lifted my head up as I recognized Tarot. What was he doing here? Had he stopped them? I had heard alarms going off the other day on a higher level. "Tarot... are you here t-to help us? Are m-my friends okay?"

A smirk drew across his face as his act fell and my hopes dropped. "Of course not. I'm their ringleader. They obey me! You foolish child, this wouldn't have happened if you hadn't gotten involved. You could've lived as a trainer for a long time, maybe even attempted to become champion after I took my place as king... Then again, perhaps it was fate for you to end up here. Your cousin did after he realized what I was and battled me. Of course he died."

"Liar!" I snarled, trying to put my fury behind it but my energy was drained and the word came out sounding choked.

"Ironic, Hero is using you to power Latios." Tarot moved past me and over to the trapped legendary. "Your cousin had been powering Latias... the experiment failed in the end. Neither one made it. We adjusted, though it seems not quite correctly."

What did he mean? Were the others dead? I tugged half heartedly against my restraints. "W-what?"

"It's time for your final act. The process did make Latios stronger but it also bonded to you through the energy connection, just like the other one... That wasn't the plan this time. You and your friend aren't needed anymore." Tarot pulled out a pokéball. "Guess we'll just make more adjustments. Serperior, finish her."

A green serpent burst from the ball and shook itself before turning to look around as if in confusion. "Ser...?"

"Kill the girl." Tarot spoke again. "She killed your trainer."

"What?" I tugged harder to break free as the grass type turned to stare at me. "No! I d-didn't!"

The serperior slithered forward; never looking away as it came closer and only stopped moving when it was a few inches from my face. The pokémon had hatred in its gaze along with confusion but still began to coil around me as Tarot hit the button to unlock my restraints, which sent me crashing to the floor. I winced as the coils tightened around me, I was sure my ribs would break if it continued at the pace it was going. Then they loosened a bit.

"What are you doing? I told you I would help find the trainer who killed yours, now finish her!" Tarot ordered as he watched the serperior get in my face again, this time seeming to think about my scent for a moment.

"Rior!" I winced as it gave a melancholy cry in my ear.

"Stupid pokémon... I should've let them kill you then." Tarot began to take out another ball. "You're worthless."

I was sure I never would've gotten out of that room alive if it hadn't been for another round of alarms blaring. Tarot scowled as the building shook, the lights flickering as it was struck by lightning. Serperior released me and lunged at Tarot with a leaf blade, though he nimbly dodged out of the way before backing towards the wall. A second later the legendary pokémon, Rayquaza, broke through and flew off with Tarot now on its back. Great... he had legendary on his side...