Chapter 18

Jay Wolfe

We had gone back to Iceshore after winning our battle between Chant and Zure, though Soren had done most of the work in battle since Basilisk was stronger against their fairy types, not to mention Finn evolved into Marshtomp. It was great we won but I felt like they hadn't been paying much attention to the battle, even Ivan had defeated them on his own his second time. Chant had almost been lost in thought the entire time while Zure was distracted by her brother and seemed to be acting on emotion without any logical moves. Very disappointing.

However, after a week of walking we made it to Plolis again where we took a ferry to Krila to challenge Hydris and Magny. We still had to train but at least we had lost Josef back at the port. He had gone on his own to the port at Klesp Path to catch a boat home, not that he would be missed, and Freya's egg had hatched into a charmander. I had been teaching her how to properly care for the young pokémon and demonstrated with Hati and Sköll, the two rockruff puppies Curse had found, as I helped them regain their strength. They were weak obviously but I had been training them little by little with Freya and her Charmander.

"I bet we beat them on the first try." Soren commented as we walked by the gym. "Water and electric types... Hoodini can take care of the water types and Finn is immune to the electric types. Looks like I'll be saving you in battle again."

"It was once and you blocked Ralts from being hit by Sylveon while blocking his own attack." I responded. "Besides, Ralts has magical leaf, he can handle it with Soul."

"I see." Soren moved closer, brushing against me as we walked, and smirked. "Guess we'll find out."

Freya shoved between us before turning to look at us. "I can help you train. Pikachu is an electric type so at least the typing matches up this time for our training."

"Alright. Maybe Ivan can join us after he's done getting more supplies." I agreed.

Soren gave a slight sigh before walking ahead of us, Hoodini sitting on his shoulder examining the island city happily, which was obvious by the wider than normal eyes and the fact the grass type kept turning his head as far as it would go. In all honesty I found that a bit disturbing.

"So, do you know what pokémon they even use?" Freya asked.

I shrugged and quickly looked it up. "Well, most of them are dual typed. Ludicolo might be a problem along with Gyarados but other than that once we train some more we should be good to go."

"It's a good idea not to underestimate them though." Freya responded. "That's how people lose."

"I won't. I never do that." I said before looking up from putting my phone away as Soren ran back to us with two familiar people in tow.

"Guy, I found them! Look!" Soren came to a stop in front of us before moving to the side.

"Esme, Rita, what are you guys doing here?" Freya asked happily.

Rita pulled out a ribbon. "Well we challenged the contest here and I won. The next one is in a few weeks so we're sticking around here until then while I continue helping Esme."

Esme nodded excitedly and gave a laugh. "Yeah, they're fun but I still have some work to do! They're better than battles though."

"I doubt that." I muttered. I had seen contests aired on TV before and while they had been interesting at times I didn't particularly like them. They just seemed like a bunch of trainers, mainly females, who wanted to show off their pokémon.

"Tell us how your first one went." Soren urged.

"We should wait until Ivan gets here." Freya spoke up before Esme could reply. "Then he can hear it too."