Chapter 30

Jay Wolfe

After waking up the next morning and taking time to train with Soren and Ivan in preparation for the gym leader, Ferno, I went to find Zekiel. He hadn't said much but before going to our rooms the other night he mentioned wanting to tell me something important. I wasn't sure if 'important' meant bad news-in which case my thoughts leapt to Valhalla- or if he was just in need of help- Ivan had mentioned Zekiel seemed lost when they met the day before.

"Jay." He stopped leaning against the Pokémon Center wall and walked over to me before looking over my shoulder where Soren and Ivan were trying not to look like they were eavesdropping from where they stood by the entrance. "You could've told me you guys weren't dead you know."

"We were staying at the Pokémon Center in Iceshore, why would that fire have killed us?"

"I didn't know where you were staying. Then I hear about what happened and no one knows what happened to you or your other friends... We were going to hold funerals for all of you until someone confirmed you hadn't been there." He looked at the ground, his expression a mix between frustration and melancholy.

I stopped walking and tilted my head slightly. "Is this really why you wanted to talk to me?"

"No." Zekiel shook his head. "I lied about why I started my journey... and didn't want those other two to hear the real reason... I um, well, you know how my parents were always kind of prone to arguing and fighting?"

Of course I knew, I was surprised they were still together after all these years, but I merely nodded and gave him a simple answer. "Yeah, of course."

"I ran away." He continued staring at the ground. "I just couldn't handle it anymore and with the money I saved up from working at that shop... I figured I could become a trainer like you. So far it hasn't been going to well, I mean, what kind of trainer gets lost on their first day despite having a map, right?"

Zekiel attempted to laugh but it quickly died.

I wasn't sure how to respond honestly. I knew from a young age his parents didn't treat him or each other well, though I didn't know what that really meant until I got older. Thinking about it, I was surprised he didn't leave sooner. "So... Uh, what are you planning on now then? Are you going to try earning some badges?"

"I don't know. I just want to get away from home for a while... maybe visit another region if I can earn enough to get there." He looked up and started walking again, turning back in the direction we'd come from. "Maybe by the time I get back my parents will understand why I ran and change for the better... and perhaps Valhalla won't still be around. Tarot made another announcement this morning, did you hear it?"

I hide my hatred for the name and nodded. "Yeah. It was about the King and Queen again. The legendaries that once stood by them were defeated and they ran off. He sent guards there to protect them... I don't think it'll help. They're going to be killed."

"Tarot's a good champion. He knows what he's doing, I'm sure he'll find a way to save them."

"Yeah, he does know what he's doing." I kept the thought to myself and stayed silent, a flash of hatred flashing through my mind that didn't seem to belong to me before it disappeared.

Zekiel turned to me once we were in earshot of the others, a smile on his face that would fool almost anyone who didn't actually know him. "Thanks for the advice Jay, maybe I'll be a decent trainer in the end. Um, mind if I watch the gym battle with Ferno just to see what one's like?"

"Sure." I played along. "Though don't go thinking you could challenge anyone's gym just yet. You still have a lot more training to do."

"Yeah, I know. I should probably go try some of your suggestions out now while I still remember them. I'll see you later for your match." He waved slightly before turning away to go to the Pokémon Center's training field.