Chapter 10

Soren Rivers

Normally I would wake up to bird pokémon calling out in the forest or to one of my own pokémon but today I felt a strong vibration go through the ground as if something heavy had fallen... or landed. I sat up, sore from laying on the ground all night without any form of blanket to make it better. Looking to the side I found Jay still sleeping beside her pokémon, undisturbed by whatever it had been that had woken me up.

"Jay..." I called her name and shook her awake. "I heard something, get up!"

She mumbled something and rolled over. I sighed and left her to wake up or sleep as I surveyed our surroundings. What was out there? Was it Valhalla again? I moved my hand behind me and shook Jay again in another attempt to wake her up in case we needed to escape quickly. My other hand went to a pókeball on my belt, hopefully Slash would be able to fight if needed, he seemed to be the least injured.

I released him, still looking around but glancing at my side to make sure he was battle ready. "If you sense anything let me know."

"Za." Slash growled and started stalking the area, though I was unsure if he was on all fours because of his injuries or just to smell the scents around us better.

"Soren... what are you doing?" Jay rolled over again, finally waking up.

"I heard something but I don't know what it was." I explained quickly.

She seemed to wake up at that and turned to make sure Curse and Ralts were still with her before looking back at me. "Well what direction was it coming from?"

"It was a vibration in the ground, I don't know!"

"Goose!" I turned away as Slash gave a warning, his claws coming out as he prepared to fight.

I was expecting a large pokémon or possibly a trainer to burst out of the tall grass but to my surprise and unease it was a seviper, the serpent like pokémon were known to have a feud with zangoose and considering the scars on this one... it seemed to enjoy fighting them. I raised Slash's pókeball up to return him but Slash jumped out of the way and gave a low growl of challenge to the seviper.

"Slash, stop! You can't fight it, you're too hurt." I stood up and heard Jay getting to her feet as well.

"Ralts, can you help stop them?" I didn't turn around as I was too busy focusing on trying to return Slash to his ball but considering Jay's pokémon didn't do anything I was taking it as I wouldn't be getting help.

"Viper..." The wild pokémon hissed as Slash jumped over it and used fury cutter.

I watched as the seviper used glare and Slash shuddered mid attack to collapse on the ground as paralysis took hold. He still rose back up onto his feet and prepared to attack again but of course the seviper was faster now and used its bladed tail to slam Slash back onto the ground with poison tail. I took out his pókeball and managed to return him this time before backing away as the seviper hissed angrily and came for me instead.

"Curse, sand attack." Jay shouted, finally helping.

I felt her grab my arm and pull me away before running into the grass while Curse blinded the seviper and followed us. We ran for a few minutes before stopping to look at our surroundings and find the half overgrown trail we had been walking on yesterday. I was about to ask if we were lost when there was another vibration through the ground, close enough to send us stumbling.

"What was that?" Jay asked, looking over at me with barely hidden worry.

I shrugged. "The same thing from earlier."