Chapter 36

Jay Wolfe

My skull was hammering in my head as I leaned against Soren, though I could barely even register he was there. Everything was in a fog as I tried to clear my head and stay awake... why was there so much anger racing through me? Why did it feel like there was wind whipping past me, chilling me to the bone, at high speed? I shuddered and pressed closer to Soren in an attempt to steal his body heat. I faintly hoped he wouldn't wake up and see me like this, weak, pained, in his bed!

Finally the pressure started to fade and I could feel myself managing to drift off again... until Soren decided to try crushing me. I yelped in surprise, jolting fully awake, and pushed him back onto his side. He blinked into consciousness as well, staring at the ceiling in confusion at being woken up, before turning and see me. His eyes immediately widened as I sat up, still getting over the awkward situation.

"Uh... d-did we? Um..." He trailed off as I glared at him.

"No." I growled, trying to hide my embarrassment.

Soren nodded before moving closer, concern and guilt taking over his expression. "Jay, did I hurt you? Your nose is bleeding."

I got up and checked to see what he meant, revealing blood running down my nose, though it was drying. "I don't think so. You weren't moving much in your sleep and I was awake enough to hurt you back if you did anything."

"I see." He walked over to me. "So you were watching me sleep?"

"No, I-I just thought you looked cold so I was trying to warm you up." I grabbed a tissue from the bedside table. "Worst lie ever."

"You don't say... I could do much better. But that isn't the point. Come outside now!"

I jumped and looked back at Soren. "What?"

He frowned. "I didn't say anything."

It hadn't sounded like him, or a verbal sound but... what else could it have been. I scowled. "You said something."

"No I didn't."

"Yeah, you did."

"Jay..." He slowly walked closer, worry and fear crossing his face, until he had his arms on my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

I pulled out of his reach. "I'm fine!"

Pain flared in my head again. "Come outside before I tear this place down you stupid human!"

He gave me a hurt look before turning towards the door. "I'm getting the nurse, you aren't okay."

I staggered behind him an in attempt to prevent him from leaving, which partially worked if I counted making him catch me so I didn't face plant a success. I hated the fact I was just getting more and more embarrassed, though didn't protest this time as he made me lay down. My head felt weird, my skull clouded and like there was something inside I couldn't get out... Was I going crazy? I had heard a voice in there. I didn't think insanity happened so quickly though.

"Babe, your eyes..." Soren tilted my head so he could look me eye to eye. "T-they're red again."

Great... so this was Valhalla's fault. Should've known. I started to complain but was cut off by a rush of wind that shattered the room's windows before a sound could even come out. Soren moved protectively in front of me and we watched as the wall was slammed into by an invisible force while the sky outside darkens as a shadow passed overhead. We both reached for our pokéballs, my hand shaking as I grabbed Curse's, but neither of us threw called anyone out as a white and blue pokémon materialized in front of us-its eyes a glowing red as it watched us.