Chapter 5

Soren Rivers

The three of us stood in a triangle, a single pokéball in each of our hands as we waited for Esme to tell us to start the battle. Finn looked up from beside me, probably curious as to why I wasn't going to send him in. "Sorry Finn, but Slash needs some training for the gym battle."

"Distractions will only make you lose." Freya called out to me. "Might as well give up now!"

"No way!" I responded, I wasn't just going to give up before the battle started!

Jay gave a sigh and looked over at Esme. "Are you going to tell us to start the battle or not?"

"Y-yeah." Esme nodded before raising and lowering her arm in a chopping motion. "Go!"

"Slash, let's win this!" I threw out his pokéball and Slash launched out in a flash of white light, already in attack position. Once the others had their pokémon out, Pichu and Poochyena, I gave the first command. "Slash, use quick attack on Pichu!"

"Pichu, dodge and use thunder shock on his zangoose." Freya ordered.

"Don't forget about me!" Jay spoke up before giving her borrowed pokémon a command. "Use sand attack on both of them and then use bite on Pichu!"

At first her pokémon didn't seem like it was going to listen but once Slash was hit by the attack I say Poochyena burst into action with a growl, throwing up sand as it ran and skidded around my pokémon and Freya's. I held an arm up to block some of the sand from my own face before giving another attack.

"Slash, get up and use fury cutter on Pichu while it's blinded!"

"Not so fast!" Freya responded. "Pichu, let it get close and use a close range thunder shock."

I was relieved when Slash rolled to the side of the poorly aimed attack and struck Pichu hard enough to send the smaller pokémon tumbling across the ground while Poochyena ran after it with teeth bared. Pichu gave a cry of pain as it took another attack and I saw Freya give a frustrated look towards us.

"Charm and then thunder shock." Freya ordered.

Poochyena gave a whimper and loosened its grip on Pichu as the small yellow pokémon gave its opponent large friendly eyes before another jolt of electricity sent the puppy like pokémon yelping and scrambling back. I took my chance to narrow down my opponents and motioned towards Poochyena. "Alright, quick attack on Pichu and then fury cutter on Poochyena!"

"Retreat and use howl." Jay's voice was a bit calmer than expected considering her pokémon was about to be hit with a super effective move.

I half wanted to change Slash's course to aim for Pichu again after it was slammed to the ground by quick attack, who knew what Jay was planning in her mind, she obviously had an idea to win. But I didn't. This was my chance to win and I wasn't going to pass it up. Slash moved quickly, boosted a bit by the fading quick attack, and landed a direct hit on Poochyena. I watched as the black and grey pokémon fell to the ground shaking from the damage it had taken.

"Poochyena, now while it's close, use bite!" Jay's command rung out, how could she still consider making her pokémon attack now? Could it even stand?

My mind was so distracted by that thought I barely registered Poochyena get back on his feet and chomp his jaws down hard on Slash's arm. Slash gave a pained growl and glanced at me before trying to shake it off. I clenched my teeth, he had taken so much damage in battle already but one more hit and Jay would be out of the battle... which would still leave Pichu to be dealt with. I looked over at Freya, she had been quiet for a bit, but she seemed to be content with watching the battle while Pichu caught its breath.