Chapter 3

Jay Wolfe

I let Curse back out of her pokéball once I got it back and rubbed her behind the ears in greeting. I was glad I won the battle but perhaps I should've used Litten instead, after all, Curse had already gone through one tough fight in the past few days and I had just put her in another one. Oh well, I guess I couldn't change it, besides, she didn't seem to mind. I glanced at the door as Soren came back in with Professor Syagrus, I could've been nicer to him though afterwards before he left... he seemed like a nice trainer after all but- but I had been too concerned about Curse to pay him any attention. I stood up and slung my bag onto my back.

"Let's get going, Curse, I'm sure we can get through part of Whispering Path if we get going now." I left the pokémon Lab with a slight look over my shoulder to watch Soren picking up Finn before turning my head back around and walking out.

I was nearly to the path when running footsteps reached my ears. "Hey, Jay, wait up!"

I turned around to see Soren slowing down and coming to a stop a few feet from me. "Mind if I come too? It'll be more fun to have someone else tagging along."

I wasn't too sure, he could get in my way later on and wasn't he kind of like my rival? We were both aiming for that champion position probably, so that could cause some problems down the road but... Soren was a nice person and he was right about company being better, especially if there were any robbers out there. I smiled and gave a nod. "Alright."

I started walking again back into Spectral Woods, as long as we didn't stay in the denser part after dark I was sure we would be fine this time. The silence we were walking in was nice, a bit tense but peaceful for the most part. I was content watching Curse walking out in front, and was also well aware of the fact that if another trevenant tried attacking Litten's attacks would do actual damage to it, we wouldn't have to run from another battle again.

"I heard Plolis' gym leader Salem is tough, how do you plan to take him on?" Soren broke the silence with his question.

I pulled up the map and pressed on Plolis to get Salem's information. "It says he's a ghost type trainer, Curse shouldn't be hurt too badly in a fight with him though... she won't have any moves to attack him either. I'll have to find some pokémon here to fight with."

"I see." He took out Finn's pokéball. "I should too. I don't think Finn can fight all of Salem's pokémon on his own."

"Vee!" I stiffened as Curse gave a warning before a white blur jumped down from a tree branch and rushed forward.

"Dodge it!" I ordered before moving out of the way as well.

The wild zangoose skidded to a halt, its claws ready to swipe in another attack. I scanned the area, no seviper nearby, we must've just gone into this pokémon's territory. It gave another growl before going in for a scratch attack, which Curse once again dodged while awaiting my orders.

"Curse, use-"

Soren sent out Finn and moved in front of me. "Hold on, I want to catch it... Um, if you weren't going to..."

I stepped back. "Go ahead, I don't want it."

"Finn, use water gun and follow up with tackle!" Soren commanded and I watched as Finn hurried to follow its trainer's commands.

The zangoose was fast though and the smaller pokémon was on the ground in seconds after a quick attack. I glanced at Curse who was watching the battle as well, she was faster than Finn but I was pretty sure zangoose was still faster even without using quick attack. A heavy thud drew my attention back to the battle to see Soren on the ground with Finn lying on his chest, the zangoose was on all fours snarling at them, clearly wounded now as well. At least they had gotten some hits in despite the quick attacks and scratches.