Chapter 31

Soren Rivers

I looked up as the medic came out of the room and rose to my feet with Ivan and Zekiel copying my actions. "What happened to her?"

"We aren't sure but we ran some tests and it seems to be something more mental. It could be stress from the recent gym battle or the heat of that gym... my boss says this wouldn't be the first case of trainers who aren't used to the heat fainting." She stopped and smiled. "At any rate, she's awake now and should be able to leave after we monitor her for another day."

She walked away and I lead the others into the room the medic had come from to see Jay slowly observing the room, finally looking over at us. "Soren... guys... what happened?"

"I-I don't remember much... just that we won the battle and then I woke up here..." She shifted and glanced down at the blanket and bed she was in. "It was just a feeling... It doesn't even feel like my own. The worry still doesn't..."

I sat down on the edge of the bed beside her and wrapped my arms around her in concern; she was so pale still. "I'm here babe. You'll always be safe with me around."

Ivan cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Yeah... we protect each other, remember? That's what friends do."

Zekiel nodded though I noticed he stayed on the opposite side of the bed than us, a humorous smile faintly showing on his face. "Besides, we couldn't let a little heat do you in now could we? What would Curse and your other pokémon think of us if we let that happen? You'll be fine."

"Is Curse okay?" I could feel her breathing pick up slightly and started to rub her back soothingly, or I was trying to sooth her, the answer would probably work better.

"Yes, she was healed up with the others."

She nodded tiredly and sighed. "Good... I-I don't want to lose more..."

Zekiel flashed a glance at us for explanation but neither of us answered. I let her lay back down but continued to hold her hand as she began to fall asleep. I wanted to wake her up again out of fear she wouldn't wake up but the medic wasn't worried so I stopped myself from waking her up and instead glanced back at Ivan. "I think I'll stay here for a while... if you guys want to go back to the Pokémon Center you can... I'll let you know if anything comes up."

"Okay." Ivan nodded and walked out slowly, glancing back as he walked through the doorway.

Zekiel took a seat in a chair in the corner of the room. "I'm staying too. I'm heading out to Cario but she won't forgive me if I don't stick around for a goodbye..."

I nodded and looked down at her again, frustration flashing through me. Why couldn't I protect her from this? The nightmares were bad enough for us, why did Arceus make her suffer through this as well? She didn't appear to be suffering but she was still hurt in some way that she didn't deserve... I leaned down and lightly kissed her cheek so I didn't wake her up before standing up. I wanted to stay and lay down with her but with Zekiel in the room and the small bed I didn't want to be kicked out or glowered at or something that would prevent me from seeing her at all.

"I'll be back, I'm getting another chair." I left the room, glancing back as a shadow flew past the window before turning away. I was probably just seeing things.

I grabbed a chair from an empty room nearby before walking back, pausing slightly as an odd man walked in through the front doors. He was looking around, maybe worried, but his movements seemed guarded. He looked fine, odd hair style and color- a bleached white- for someone looking so young, but when he glanced in my direction I gave a shudder. His eyes didn't look normal. They were red, which could've been contacts but I got a feeling he was dangerous. I hurried back to Jay's room and checked that my pokéballs were in easy reach in case something went down. For all I knew that weird guy was with Valhalla and trying to kill us... If that was the case, I had just led him to the other two.