Chapter 5 - Farm Birthday

Working with Devin Cole is... pleasant.

I don't know what I was expecting. Well, maybe for him to run away at the first chance. He is a quiet man, so much that at times I forget he is in the room. Then I jump startled when he asks me a question about what he is making.

Yesterday Devin helped me to finish two projects for today's birthday and he got the first taste of what's like to be me. The first project was a garland made of bandana triangles that needed to be glued to cord. When I handed him the glue gun it was kind of cute. He looked at it with great interest and I was surprised to learn he had never seen one before.

I explained how to use it and arranged the materials on the table next to him. At first, he pressed the gun too hard and a giant blob of glue came out.

"It won't stop, Tania!" he panicked, standing up and holding the gun by the electrical cord with two fingers.

I got it from his hand and removed the glue stick. He looked relieved. After cleaning the mess, he sat down to his task. I kept an eye on him from my place behind the sewing machine.

He frowned as he waited for the glue stick to melt again. He shaved his beard like I asked him, but two days later a light one has appeared. I must admit he is a handsome man and I find myself staring at his baby blue eyes longer than what is acceptable.

 I must admit he is a handsome man and I find myself staring at his baby blue eyes longer than what is acceptable

He pressed the gun carefully this time and had the tip of his tongue out every time he did. It was quite funny to watch. At one moment, he stood up and walked quickly to the kitchen. I heard the faucet running and thought he was making coffee.

"Fucking hell, this hurts," he whispered, but it was loud enough to reach me.

I found him cooling a burn and felt sorry for him. I looked at my hands and the old battle scars from glue, craft knives, and scissors. They hurt but in the end they are the proof of my dedication. I grabbed a tube of balm for burns, handed it to him and gave him a sheepish smile.

"You are on time to quit," I said.

"I don't run away from challenges," he said while treating his burn. "Sorry I cursed,"

"I do it all the time," I said and he grinned.

He went back to his task and was more careful than ever. I then handed him silk red roses and a box of lanterns.

"We will hang these from a tree I saw at the venue. I want to place the cake table under them," I said. "Could you please glue three roses on top of each lantern?" I arranged the flowers on top to show him what I meant.

"Lanterns over the cake table," Devin said with a nod, looking as if making a mental note.

I left him to his new task and checked on the planning. Thanks to Devin, I was way ahead of schedule, meaning I could go to bed on time. That's the reason why I feel calm and rested today. It's been long since the last time I felt like this. Maybe hiring help wasn't a bad idea after all.