Chapter 8 - Beach

Board shorts should be banned. They make my calfs look weirdly thin. And my ankles. My feet also look bony. I don't remember the last time I wore flip-flops.

It probably sounds odd coming from someone who has spent years of his life naked in front of cameras. It's just that these shorts cover my thick thighs and because they are so wide at the end, it makes the rest look like two sticks.

"Devin, what are you doing?"

Tania carries a box of lei strings and tries to hide a smile. I've been looking at my reflection on a glass and pulling the leg of my shorts up and down.

"I have chicken legs," my voice comes out almost whiny. "Give me safety pins to make these shorter,"

Tania snorts and continues walking. I look at her back side, and her butt and legs look amazing in her board shorts. The only distracting thing from that view is the wild and colorful parrot print on them. At least mine are navy blue with white hibiscus flowers.

I head to the van and stack some boxes. My arms glisten from the thin layer of sweat on them. The air is thick with moisture and I find it too bad that I have to work. The clear beach water looks inviting.

Tania positions two standing surfing boards on either side of the cake table, then hangs a cord between them. We then clip the leis to it to form a pretty background and hang an inflatable number seven in the middle. A grass skirt finishes the table and we move on to decorate the rest of the large gazebo.

Mr. and Mrs. Williams arrive and I sense trouble. Or maybe I don't sense it and the murderous look she is giving him is a hint. The guests of honor are their twins, a boy and a girl. In a stroller, the youngest sibling is glued to a tablet and is oblivious to what's going around.

"Hello Mrs. Williams. Hello Mr. Williams,"  Tania says.

"I told you. You can call me Noah," the man grins while holding Tania's hand a bit too long for my taste.

I move next to her. He looks at my face and let go of her hand.

"This is Devin, my-"

"Her boyfriend,"

Mr. Williams takes a step back and gazes around the room. Mrs. Williams is past the glaring at him stage. Tonight he will sleep in the dog house.

"Mrs. Williams, I have placed the cake table out of the sun. Even fondant won't stand moisture like we are having today. I know we talked about having the activities in the beach area, but we should clear a space in case it rains," Tania points to an area nearby.

"Nonsense! My weather app says it will stay dry the whole day," Mr. Williams says.

"Who the hell made you weather man?" Mrs. Williams snaps at him. "What do you have in mind Tania?" her voice turns into a sweet tone.

The women head to a table to discuss the change. I take a beach ball and start inflating it.

"Women," Mr. Williams scoffs. "A small mistake and they stay on your case the whole day. She thinks that I can read minds and now she's mad because I forgot the baby inside the house," he shrugs.

I take another beach ball and repeat the process. My whole body language shouts 'go away!'.

"You probably know what I mean. Your girlfriend seems hot to handle as well," he gives me an unwelcome shove with his shoulder.

"Not at all," I shrug. I hope Tania isn't mad at me for calling her my girlfriend.

"Maybe mine is just a bitch,"

"Bitch!"

We all look at the baby in the stroller who smiles and repeats the curse word. Tania looks at me with surprise and the corner of her thick lips curl.