Chapter 13 - Chef

The sting from the scissor nick on my finger brings me back to reality. I couldn't sleep last night and worked on the games for the little chef party for the coming weekend. Devin's words kept repeating in my head making me feel frustrated about something I can't change.

"Tania, what are you doing?"

I look behind me to see a sleepy Peyton. "Doing a bit of pre-work for a party. You are up early,"

"I went to the bathroom and thought maybe I left the kitchen light on,"

"No, it's only me. I couldn't sleep so I worked on some party stuff,"

Peyton gazes around the room. I have colored paper on the couches I will use to make menus, materials to make chef hats lie on the coffee table, and a stack of aprons is the only thing neatly organized on the dining table. Pieces of fabric litter the surrounding floor. She grabs an apron and then looks at the next.

"The kids names are stamped on them," she places them back.

"Yeah, the mom wanted them personalized," I shrug.

"Did you sleep at all? This wasn't here when I came in,"

"I went to bed and was probably in it when you got home. After twisting and turning for hours I decided to use the time in something productive,"

"But you have Devin now. Wasn't that the whole point of hiring him? So you can sleep instead of having crafting marathons?"

My face probably showed my emotions. In a second, Peyton has her arm around my shoulders.

"What happened?"

I tell her about Devin's date and his remark. She lifts an eyebrow and smirks.

"What?" I challenge.

"He was tactless. No doubt there. But I don't think it was on purpose,"

"Do you think I'm overreacting then?"

"No, more like reacting to him,"

"Oh please, you imply that I'm interested in him," I leave the scissors on the kitchen counter and stretch my fingers.

"I've been to your family parties... what's the name of that crazy auntie of yours?"

"Rosario," I smile.

"Remember that time she brought that guy dressed in white with the bead necklaces? The witch man?"

"How can I forget? She wanted him to perform a cleansing job on me during a christening party. The guy thought he was invited to have cake," I laugh at the memory.

"Whoever didn't know you can't have kids found out on that day. Still, you didn't care about it. You only got a chair for the witch man and gave him a plate full of food,"

"What did you want me to do? Feed Devin too?"

"No, what I mean is that you are hurt because the words came from him,"

I stare at Peyton. None of this makes sense.

"I need coffee. My tired brain says you think I fancy Devin, and that isn't right," I grab the tin of instant coffee. When Devin isn't around, I don't even turn on the machine. Plus he looks mighty hot in his skinny jeans while working it.

"Your brain is smarter than the rest of you right now," Peyton says, interrupting my little pervy memory.

"What would I do without that rough love of yours?" I roll my eyes.

"Admit it. You like him. More than just as an employee or as a friend,"

"Nonsense. Okay, I overreacted. I think I will skip the coffee and just head to bed,"