Chapter 19 - Halloween

Devin and I always joke that every weekend feels like Halloween for us. That is why I felt surprised when he asked me out and invited me to a costume party on Halloween night.

I was arranging flowers atop a plastic skull for a centerpiece in my living room. I felt warm arms around my waist and a chin landed softly on my shoulder. I smiled, feeling charmed by the sweet gesture and turned around.

"Good morning, Mr. Cole."

"Hi," he held my cheek in his palm and gave me the loveliest of kisses on my lips. "What are you making?" he looked at my project with interest.

"Thanks to you, I have time available to decorate my house for Halloween. Always loved the holiday, but it's been years since I've been able to bring it inside my house."

"I have an idea, but don't know if you are up to it or have time available," he looked hesitant.

"I'm all ears," I placed my arms around his waist.

"Tony throws a costume party every year. He goes wild when it comes to it. I guess I never realized how much effort he puts in it until I worked for you. Would you like to come with me?"

"We have a party the next day, but since it's a late one, I think we can handle both," I smiled at him.

"Don't give much thought to the costume though. The place is usually packed and I think no one pays attention to what you are wearing."

"Does Tony know many people?"

"Who knows for sure," he shrugged.  "Through his job he comes in contact with many, but I think most of the people at the party come because they heard about it from someone else."

"I still would like to wear a nice costume. It will be nice for a change to dress up to enjoy a night out and not because it's part of my work."

"I'm to blame about it since you never did it before me," he gave me a tender caress on my cheek.

"I enjoy it, but I'm up for some adult fun."

We spent part of the next days brainstorming and arguing about our costumes, but managed to reach an agreement. If only defining what is going on between us was as easy as this.

After the undeniable attraction on both parts, I can't figure out if he has feelings for me. He is sweet and has cute details, but often I have negative thoughts that he is with me until the next best thing crosses his path. Then I shake them away and realize it's stupid. A handsome man like him has plenty women to choose from and still I'm the one he wants to spend time with.

Peyton is having the time of her life teasing the hell out of me because Devin and I haven't slept together. It's not that I don't want to, but the opportunity hasn't presented. She was even cheeky enough to suggest we hide under the cake table at a birthday and do it.

The bell rings and I finish applying my red lipstick. I left a big bowl of candy for the trick-o-treaters to help themselves, so it must be Devin at the door.

As I open it, a mix of laughter and a snort escapes me.

"This is brilliant!" I hold my belly as I laugh.

When Devin and I agreed to dress as Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, I never imagined that he would pick to wear the Granny's sleeping gown on top of it.

"Fhu du ike et? Wet!" he signals me to give him a moment and takes off his mask. "Everything sounds muffled with the mask. Do you like it?"

"Like it? Love it!"

"You look beautiful Tania. I swear you will be the sexiest woman at that party," he twists one of my curls on his finger.

"I'm excited!" I grab my purse and follow him to his car.