Chapter 12: Free Period

I sighed as I stepped off the bus and onto school grounds.

Logan and Ashley stood behind me, talking about some other party they went to over the weekend. Not that I was mad or jealous. Of them or not going to the party at least. I was just mad because I had to come to school and I was jealous of all the people that had graduated from college.

But no matter how bad I hated school, I could never drop out. I promised people I wouldn't. Eliza, Drew, myself, and them.

I blinked to keep tears from spilling out. I was at school and needed to stay strong. If anyone saw me crying, they'd take advantage of me and I wouldn't let that happen.

I marched forward up to the school steps, taking them two at a time, before pushing open the door. I walked down the hallway as guys stared, girls glared and whispered, and me? I just kept my head up high and walked over to my locker.

I put in my combination and opened my locker before shoving all my books in. I glanced at my school schedule that I had taped up on my locker. First period I had math and then I had English class. Why we had English, I still wasn't sure considering I could speak English. I could really care less about saying things the 'proper' way.

I grabbed my math book and notebook along with my english items and stuffed them in my backpack before shutting my locker closed.

"Riley!" yelled a voice.

Everyone's heads turned toward the voice. Yep, I might not have been popular like the blondes, but everyone at my school loved to gossip and get in each other's personal lives.

I turned my head to see Asher running around groups of people, towards me.

"What?" I asked when he reached me.

"Hey," he said.

"I have to go to class. I'll talk to you later," I said as I walked around him.

"Wait, are you mad at me?" he asked.

I shook my head no. I wasn't mad at him. I just hated having to get up early for something I hate a.k.a. school. Plus I didn't get to have breakfast and my stomach was growling like crazy!

"No but I got to go. Bye," I said before I stalked off, my converses making contact with the floor.

I walked towards the cafeteria and grabbed three nectarines. I was only eating one right now but during lunch, they usually took away the fruits or there were none left. And I'd probably want one to eat after school also or sometime while transitioning or free period.

I glanced around the cafeteria and spotted an empty table near the back. I headed towards it and sat down, throwing my bags onto the table.

Five minutes later, I got up and threw the core in the trash before heading off towards math. I never dreaded math though because for one, I was good at it. And two, I loved my teacher.

A smile crept onto my face as I walked into class. Only a few people were here so far.

Ms. Berkley sat on her swivel chair with her feet on her desk, earbuds in her ears as she listened to music coming from her iPhone.

Ms. Berkley was really young-Only twenty three or so- yet she was smart and understood us. She was really fun and cool. If we finished our work early, she'd let us talk and hang out or even go roam around the school and have a mini- free period. Or if she didn't have a lesson planned or if she was absent, we'd get a free period.

When I walked in, she smiled up and me and waved. I smiled and waved back before walking over to where some girls were, perched on top of desks.

They weren't those Barbie kind of girls. They were those normal, nice girls that weren't fond of the Barbies either. I called them my allies.