Chapter 14: Everyone Has Problems

I lifted my head up off the pillow on the couch as I slight headache came on. Probably from all that crying last night, I thought as all the memories of it came back. The piano lesson, the song, crying, and finally coming to Eliza's and passing out on the couch.

I pulled the warm covers off of me and gently swung my legs over the edge of the couch before slowly standing up. Then I stretched my arms up and yawned, causing my shirt to ride up a bit.

Then, deciding that I need to get ready for school, as it was already 6:40am, I slowly padded across the living room, through the kitchen, and slipped on my shoes, where they were neatly placed next to the rest of my clothes that I had worn yesterday and my bag. They were dry so I figured Eliza must've stuck them in the dryer at some point. I gently bent over and picked them up before opening the door up and stepping out into the crisp, spring, morning air.

I headed across Eliza's lawn onto my own and walked up the steps quietly before slowly unlocking the door and stepping inside my house.

A tired version of my mom glanced up from where she was sprawled across the kitchen counter.

"Sweetie, are you alright? I was worried about you!" She said getting off her seat and coming to hug me.

"Yes, mom, I'm fine," I lied. "I just crashed at Eliza's. I probably should've called you or something but I forgot. Sorry," I said, pulling away from her grasp.

She sent me a frown before speaking. "Just try not to forget next time, Kay?" she asked.

I nodded, knowing that at this rate, there would be a next time. How soon it would come, only fate could decide.  

******************

I lazily stepped onto the bus, automatically heading for the back of it where my friends were waiting for me.

"What's up with you?" Ashley asked, her eyebrows furrowed together with a look of concern.

"What makes you think something's wrong?" I asked her as I lie down on the seat across from them, careful not to bang my head on the window.

"Well for one," she began, "It doesn't look like you bothered to dress today."

I glanced down to see that I was wearing an old pair of high tops, skinny jeans, and a white tank top with a Aeropostale sweatshirt over it. It didn't seem to me that I was under dressing at the moment but maybe I was. Deciding to push that thought away, I furrowed my eyebrows together.

"What makes you think that?" I asked.

"I don't know," she answered, "you just usually dress sexier or something."

"Yea," Logan agreed, popping her head out from behind Ashley's. It was the first time she had spoken since I had gotten on the bus. "Plus, your hair's in a messy bun and you have bags under your eyes and your face doesn't look in shape," she answered guilelessly.

My eyes went wide before they returned back to their normal size. "Gee, thanks Logan!"

She dipped her head and stared at her feet. "Sorry, I was just telling the truth," she said slowly.

I sighed. "I know you were. Sorry."

"But we'll help you at school. I have a bag full of makeup and even a mini hair styling kit. Plus, I always carry extra clothes," she added.

I smiled at her. "Only Logan," I said shaking my head slowly.

She smiled back at me before we all piled off the bus and onto the school grounds.

*********************

"Keep your eyes closed!" Logan screamed at me as she applied a dark blue/ purple eyeshadow to my face.