Chapter 7- Age 25

Chapter 7

Age 25

“Daddy, did you know that if your eye was a camera it would have 567 megapixels?” Ivy read from her small book in the back of the car; her school had put on a science day and since I picked her up she’s been nagging on and on about science. I mean I love science and all that just only in Star Wars or Star Trek; within the pages of comic books and the TV screen I could sit and absorb it like a supermodel on a sunbed.

“Really? That’s great honey, what about the rest of your day?” I asked pulling onto the street the gallery was on, I’d been working extra lately in order to help set up for a new student showing where students from local art colleges can showcase their art and other alike; Brain had started it 3 years ago and now even contained an award for ‘Best Newcomer’ which is made each year by the elder artists we show. Ivy being only 7 years old had to join me whilst I worked after school which she didn’t seem to mind as she had the space of the open gallery to talk the ears off of any art lover- observed by some of the interns to make sure she was okay.

“Well Miss Edmonds had this big speech on how these metals could explode- she put a teenie weenie bit of this black stuff into water and BOOM! It was so cool daddy!” she was waving her arms about and jiggling in her seat with excitement making me smile at her innocence. She found everything amazing she had such an eye for the world and the things in it that every day I learnt something new from her and her young view on the world made living in the hard times not as bad as it is.

“Awesome, just don’t be getting any funny ideas about dropping metals in the bathtub V- extreme water damage isn’t covered in the our insurance.” I joked, with about average money and buying Ivy and my one art supplies as well as other necessities I chose an insurance that would cover more likely damage to the house like fires.

“Don’t be silly daddy.” She giggled as we walked into the gallery; she was still so small and light it shocked me due to the amount she eats regardless of my constant nagging about ‘balanced diets’ and less skittles.

We were met by Brian shrugging on his coat in a hurry starting for the door on the phone, he pulled off to say “The printer’s messed up the flyers, something about an office party whilst they were printing and they’ve turned into X-rated hand-outs. Jimmy and Sophie aren’t coming in tonight and a guy rang in about proposing to his girlfriend tonight so I ordered champagne. Looking fabulous Lady V, right now have to go! Toodles!” he rushes out making me only catch a few string of words, being spun with goodbye kisses on the cheek and left in a whirlwind of expensive cologne and bleached blonde hair that can only be Brian.

“Propose? Is that when people ask to be married?” Ivy asked tugging on my hand into the office covered in her drawings from 18 months to yesterday like a little gallery of my own.

“Well it’s when two people love each other so much they can’t spend another day without them and a proposal is in a way making it official that they want to do that.” I tell her logging onto the computer and clicking on my email skimming through and deleting any ‘junk’ mail.

I sit in my leather office chair and pull Ivy onto my lap tucking her head on my shoulder and wrapping her in my arms just enjoying my little family. 

It’s just gone 10 o’clock and I watch my little star bouncing from person to person with a bright smile on her face showing her short stubby teeth; the gallery is buzzing with people some here to catch some of the art before the newcomer night in a couple of days so they don’t have to face any crowds and know the price range etc.

My daughter moves onto a young man, well teenager, he’s got a sketch pad in his hands and is stood awkwardly scratching his neck revealing a small tattoo on his wrist.

She looks up at him as he towers over her, they talk then I notice the beam on her face as she snatches his hand suddenly taking him by surprise and drags him in my direction. “Daddy! This is Dylan! He does art!” she squeals bringing him over.

“Ivy, honey, calm down- your dinner is in the office go eat while I talk to Dylan.” I shoe her away and offer my hand to the teen- he shakes it with a firm cold grip and I notice he doesn’t have a tattoo just a sharpie doodle of an octopus.

“Gerard Way, I’m part owner, that was my daughter Ivy- I’m sorry if she was too much, she doesn’t get it from me.” I chuckle and meet the boys blue eyes.

“Dylan Maycomb, pleasure to meet you sir.” He says in a rough wiry voice making him sound older than he might be.

“So how can I help you?” I smile as I acknowledge his sketchpad still in the crook of his arm; he smiles nervously and opens it revealing some special small compilation of sketches from wolves to hearts to graveyards.

“I draw tattoos for the kids at my school- they don’t beat me up if I do- I would never get one myself though; I’m a belonephoiac.” And suddenly I have an overwhelming respect for this guy.

“Honey it’s almost 11 o’clock, it is way past your bedtime; I shouldn’t have let you stay to 10 but I did- I’m calling Mandy to pick you up and take you home and that’s final.” I tell Ivy firmly, she crosses her arms and pouts as she sulks.

“No!” she stamps her foot and feel the tantrum levels increase… she’s about to blow. “I wanna see the proposal!”

“I’m calling Mandy, you can sit here and watch- it won’t be long; be then you go home.” I tell her as I place my office chair in the door way, I sit on it and she sits on my lap moments after unfolding her arms and releasing her bottom lip she leans against me as I text Mandy to pick Ivy up and notify her on her mood as she’s tired.

I spend the next few minutes on the office phone listening to messages that have mounted up over the week, mostly from the guys at the tattoo parlour telling me my hours for the next few weeks, just as a romantic song fills the gallery and the lighting dims (Leo one of the interns stands in the corner with a little box of the controls- he’s techy I’m not).

Then I watch a man in his late twenties with black well cut hair and a swanky business suit get down on his one knee in front of a woman dresses in a bright red beautiful dress with long brown curled hair; she gasps and covers her mouth with her hands in shock. He starts giving a speech on how much he loves her, how they’ve known each other since they were children, how he can’t live without her.

“Daddy, it’s just like when you-“ Ivy sighs sleepily as her eyes flutter shut; falling asleep against my tense shoulder just as the last message beeps onto the machine…

“Hey Gee, it’s F-“ I throw the phone with all my might across the office letting out a growl of frustration and watch it shatter into 3 pieces signalling a long beep which ends as I move Ivy onto my hip and kick the chair into the office, locking it and carrying Ivy past the crowd of people goggling over the happy couple.

“Yes! I do! I love you so much!” the woman cries and the crowd lets out a congratulating cheer as Leo steps forward producing the expensive champagne.

The party behind me echoes in my skull as I hand Ivy over to Mandy who has just stepped into the room. “I’m so sorry Gee.” She says but I wave her off and sulk back to the little studio on the top floor of the gallery leaving my world behind.