Chapter 23: Age 27

Chapter 23

Age 27 

It was late October and I was on a downward spiral I could feel myself sinking lower and lower but I felt like I was drowning and this time my floaty wings were as deflated as Ray’s hair when it’s too long. I had visited Mandy on the date of Ivy’s birthday in September although I didn’t have much to say and all she could say was ‘I told you so.’- she had begun calling me once or twice a week since then saying the same old thing even offering to help out with my house but I always declined. I had brought back the house I owned before Lyn-z came back and although it hadn’t been changed much and the few things from the old house had been dragged there one day with help of Buck. My house didn’t feel like home without the sound of floorboards creaking under the pressure of small sneakered feet and fleeting sounds of innocent giggles that caused hiccups from tickles.

I had taken Buck’s advice onboard and tried to not drink as much as I had done before at work- once I was at home or passing a bar on my way though it was a different story. During the day my hands constantly shook and my eyes became sore without the numbing effects of the alcohol; I began to see how clearer and better quality my work was when I didn’t have a poison in my system even if I did crave it to get my through every god damned day.

“What’s my client list today Ray?” I ask, I decided to help out at the Purple Pumpkin for a couple of weeks whilst some of the staff took a holiday they were long overdue- they had been working overtime themselves because they had all started having families and getting married and buying houses… pfft I don’t care anymore.

“Just the one. It says that they booked the whole day with you and has their own sketch. I dunno I can’t read the interns writing.” He says as he scoffs at the book before writing on a post it his clients and Drake’s clients and attaching them to their stations. I liked how the Purple Pumpkin was lay out, everyone had their own select station decorated to their liking with their own partition. Mine was covered in band posters and the odd picture- some bat lights and bits from customers who wanted to buy me something sweet. I chuckle at Ray’s annoyance towards the intern as he was one when he first started out. I hide behind my partition as I sort out the tools needed for today thinking it was going to be stressful maybe even leading into tonight if the client wanted it finished depending on how big it was.

“Hey man how you doing? I heard what happened and I just wanted to say how sorry I am.” I hear Ray greet a customer as the door chimes and the sound of patting on the back. “Gee your client is here.” I hear him say as he rounds the corner, I dust off my hands ready to extend it for a shake but stop when I see Frankie behind him.

“Hey.” I say around a lump in my throat as Ray leaves awkwardly placing some ear-buds in his ears whilst he waited for his day to start.

“Hey.” Frankie replies with a croaky voice, it is broken and low, it cracks and breaks as he chokes on one simple word.

“So back for another one of my tattoo’s?” I say gesturing him to take a seat noticing the paper in his hands.