Chapter 20: Age 18

Chapter 20

*A/N: Sorry it's so long! -Bec x

Age 18

“You know when I saw you at the first party you showed up to I thought you were trying too hard to stand out, of course you were completely wasted and covered in sweat which I don’t think was 100% yours. You were talking to some jocks which shocked me because I thought they would beat you to a pulp any second, you were talking about a kickball game and how you hadn’t played since you placed with your dad and then you saw me. I felt kinda sorry for you but then I saw the old you that used to try looking up my skirt in the playground and pinky swore with me to be each other’s first kisses... then I saw you so broken and you didn’t even seem drunk which was weird because you loved to drink- of course I saw you slip away- I had to follow you… to come say hi.” Lyn-z says as we lay on our mattress in the apartment I scraped enough money to buy in such short notice and promised to work hard and save up to get some decent furniture before the baby arrived. I was propped up against the headboard as Lyn-z lay back with her head on my arm rubbing her rounding belly and holding the sonogram of our baby.

“And then I found out I was pregnant and I didn’t know what to do. I always wanted to be a mom but I thought that would be in the future, y’know? I mean I always saw myself was kids running round as I did my art but I never thought of the baby side of things. A freaking baby, Gee. I’m having a baby with my first crush. Don’t you think that’s crazy?” she says as she looks up at me from under her eyelids… she was so beautiful I couldn’t believe my luck- every time I was with her I relaxed and the air around us was lighter like sexuality didn’t matter and neither did the world around us; I may have been gay and the thought of women didn’t make anything move down there but this woman evaded my whole being like as if she was flowing through my blood.

“For every day I’m with you I can’t believe my luck.” I say looking back at her with a cheesy expression. “Did you know the first pizzas made were the margarita pizza in Naples when the peasants used to make something with the little they had which tasted good, so one day Queen Margarite ordered for the best chef to make her this pizza, afterwards they named it a Margarita after her rein.” I tell her as the thought comes into my head… man I wanted pizza so bad.

“After all I just said you say all that. You’re such a jerk. I’m dragging my body and reputation through the mud for you and all you can say is some stupid fucking fact! I’m giving my life away for this thing growing inside me that I never wanted and you put there. I could take this baby away from you the second you blink… it’s not too late to stop this and it’s not too late  for me to decide I never want you to see this baby if I do have it.” She snaps turning cold and spiteful. She wouldn’t dare abort our baby. She couldn’t. I thought she was the only one who understood me, after I quit drinking every time I wanted to drown myself in cheap liquor I said a random fact that made me think of something different- I thought she understood. I guess nobody understood me, not even my unborn child.

I couldn’t bear to watch someone else die because of me.

By the time Lyn-z was 6 months I had saved up enough money along with the money I had saved intentionally for college and the money I got paid for the tattoos I drew I managed to buy the essentials for the apartment meaning we now had a bad and a couch- however I was more familiar with the couch- they weren’t the top of the range but they were decent enough that even Lyn-z approved. I had painted every room with the colors she begged for and over again when she decided she didn’t like it, the same with the wallpaper she picked out because ‘every home no matter how small must have a feature wall’ more like I want you to pay $500 worth of wallpaper and supplies to do a tiny bit of wall because it was ‘so cool’. I even managed to pay for a phone even if I was forbidden to answer it and for certain amounts of time I wasn’t allowed to even set foot into the apartment because her friends were over. The way she treated me like I was dust swept under the rug made me want to hate her. But I loved her… I think. One day I had taken the day off work so I could tile the bathroom so it was actually mold free and water wouldn’t spray everywhere; whilst Lyn-z was out with friends I’m not sure where maybe to a party or the mall or some spa thing- probably all of them. The bathroom was small, it had a little tub with a shower attached to the taps, a toilet which just about worked thanks to the few skills I picked up when I lived in the basement having to fix pipes so they didn’t just spontaneously combust, and taps which constantly dripped which meant you had to turn the tap head a little less each time although it made the air fizz in the pipework. Lyn-z wanted the bathroom to be tiled from floor to ceiling which she picked a mosaic tile made of glass, metal and other random crap that cost more than the apartment itself; I had managed to tile it all making sure they were all straight and lined up with each other as well as not having two of the same colors together where the tiles met. I was proud of myself and decided to do the filing or grouting so that I could just easily just wash it off in one go and it be ready to use by the time she got home; over coving all the times I prepared the water and tools ready to wipe the thick blobs of cement like mixture off the tile only to be stopped by the phone ringing- I froze torn with whether to answer it however it rang again and again making me sigh and get up. It was Lyn-z. “I need you to go to the nearest store and buy everything for a movie night, and pickles I’m really craving some, remember lots of ice cream too!” she snaps as soon as I pick up.