Chapter 28- Age 7, 14, 17

(Previously....)

The woman I’ve loved for most of my life is now dead, just nothing, a corpse with no heartbeat, no thoughts and no warmth- that was my version of death. I had seen people die, I had been in the presence of every person I ever loved as they died- I was a curse for them. I bow my head and take a breath turning to see the staff waiting to take her away. Frankie stands ready to take me away back to the moon and stars.

Chapter 28

Age 7

“See that girl over there? I’m gonna marry her.” Bob says to me, we are sat in the sandpit reading comic books… this usually happens, we like to feel the sand even though it is dirty and probably has a variety of stuff in it I’d rather not know about; we’d read our comics and I would draw my own in the sand to my audience of Bob, Ray and sometimes Mikey. Bob had been sucking a sand coated lollipop and suddenly came to the revelation that the girl across the playground was his ‘one’.

“What’s her name then?” I ask frowning in disgust at the lollipop dangerously close to getting tangled in my hair- the hair I had been desperately working to grow so I looked like Thor- but my hair isn’t blonde it’s a stupid brown color that was boring- I wanted color! When I am older I’m gonna have green, and red and blonde hair- I could do it white or half and half, multicolor! That’d be awesome.

“I dunno. She just looks so awesome!” Bob says getting into that little dreamy state he gets into, in fact the girl he’d set his eyes on was wearing a black dress and tartan shirt and doing back bends on the school grass.

She seemed about our age and hair really dark brown hair like mine that bounced around, she wasn’t like her friends- they all had white hair and wore lots and lots of pink they danced around not caring if their panties showed- they were singing songs or rhymes I didn’t really understand plus they all had an audience of boys- but not this girl.

“So why don’t you go up to her?” I say in awe of her, but she was Bob’s he’d claimed her, at 7 years old I was a stranger to love, or like for that matter, but she made me feel fuzzy- like I’d eaten too much popping candy and it was erupting in my stomach.

“In good time my friend.” He says and continues to such on his lollipop- I had no clue what he really meant. But for the rest of that recess I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her, Ray told me she was new  and in his class but she didn’t talk to anyone but the glamour girls (the pink pantie group). She stuck in my head for the rest of the day, I wanted to know her- to be her friend, to see the color of her eyes and to buy her pizza… hmmm… pizza. Stop it Gee, focus- we are learning drawing techniques.

At the end of the day I waited for Mikey who was with the kindergarten group even though he was only 4 years old, he had come barreling out with his superman lunchbox and right into me- I told mom that he needed glasses but she never listened, we spoke about our days on the bus ride home- Mikey going on about how he drew a unicorn- I think, he wasn’t very clear apart from shouting it in my ears where everyone looked at us- including the girl with dark brown hair at the front of the bus. As usual we were dropped off last although this time the girl got off too and she practically ran in front the way we were heading- I frowned wondering why- was I really that ugly?

When we got into our house we were greeted by our mom, “He needs glasses, he keeps running into things and almost fell down the steps of the bus.” I remind her putting mine and Mikey’s things away and taking him upstairs to get him ready for bed.

“Don’t get him changed just yet! We have the new neighbors coming over for dinner!” she calls up and I frown, did dad know? He usually didn’t like when mom just invited people over- when it happened before he was grumpy- he liked to come home and just relax, like me, he didn’t like being social when he didn’t have to be.