ninety eight

Lucy has added Allysus*

Lucy: hey, it's lucy

Lucy: i hope you don't mind, i got your number from lauren

Allysus: i don't

Allysus: mind, that is

Lucy: did you leave? i just got to lauren's from work and you weren't here

Allysus: no, i just went to get some dinner

Allysus: are camila and lauren still being gross?

Lucy: obviously not if i was able to get her attention long enough to get your number

Lucy: i thought you were gone

Allysus: nah, i'll be back later

Allysus: or you could join me if you want. i'm at that diner lauren showed us, you know, the one with the hella milkshakes?

Lucy: i'd love to join you

Allysus: and when we get back, do you think we could watch a movie or something? i don't wanna third wheel camren like last night

Lucy: yes, that sounds good

Allysus: anyway, i'll see you when you get here

Lucy: xo

---

Ally dips a fry into the ketchup, watching the father across the room as he plays with his food to amuse his son. While his son remains unamused, Ally lets out a small giggle. She looks away when the boy glances at her, focusing a little too hard on taking a sip of her milkshake.

The sound of the door's bell startles her, and her head shoots up, eyes meeting Lucy's. She scans over Lucy's baggy sweatshirt and sweatpants, glad she's not the only one that resembles somewhat of a slob, with her own shirt having an unknown stain on the front.

Lucy takes a seat across from her, grateful when Ally slides her food between them. It was too much for her anyway.

"I don't think we've really talked since the hospital..." Ally starts.

"No." Lucy agrees, taking a fry.

"So.. how've you been?" Ally couldn't fight the feeling of worry she'd had after Lucy's semi-minor breakdown in the waiting room.

"Good. Lauren and I have been talking stuff over and all that. I think we're getting to an okay place." Lucy keeps her attention on the plate of food. "And I think Camila is on her way to forgiving me after all the shit I did."

"That's good, I'm glad."

"What about you?" Lucy asks slowly, stepping carefully around the subject. "With those girls that showed up to the hospital?"

Ally grabs the straw of her milkshake, stirring it around slowly. "I dunno..."

"Have you tried to fix it?"

"Well..."

God must've been looking out for her, because just as she was about to embarrass herself, the waiter arrived with the milkshake she'd ordered for Lucy. Lucy looks at it, confused, but accepts it anyway. "How did you know I like strawberry?"

"I texted Lauren." Ally shrugs.

"Oh..." Lucy pauses, trying to remember what they'd been talking about. "Don't think this means I'm gonna give you a pass. That was extremely dramatic, at the hospital. And I live for drama that's not mine, so spill."

And just like that, Ally thinks, Lucy hides behind her sarcastic and sassy façade. "Well, uh... I called Tori the other day to apologize."

"And...?"

"And she yelled at me for twenty minutes before hanging up angrily on me."

"What did she say?"

"A lot of stuff about how she was cheated on in her last relationship and... she didn't think she could trust me after this, even though I wasn't cheating on anyone, I just wasn't completely honest with my intentions." Ally explains, dropping her head into her hands. "Why am I such an idiot? Why did I have to flirt with all of them instead of just getting to know them first?"

"Why did I get stuck with an abusive great uncle? Why did I drag Lauren into it?" Lucy asks rhetorically. "So many things happen that aren't fair and that we can't explain. I've really stopped asking questions at this point, and I've just accepted all this shit as my fate. God knows I deserve it."

"No, nobody deserves the shit you've been through." Ally barely registers it as her hand glides across the table, grabbing Lucy's comfortingly. "My problems are minuscule in comparison to yours. I can see that you're a good person, Lucy. It's okay to be a little messed up after what you've seen, and it's okay to make mistakes. What makes it okay is that you've owned up to them." Ally pauses, realizing where her hand is and pulling back despite not wanting to. "I've always believed in second chances."

"This is like my millionth chance."

"That's a little dramatic."

Lucy chuckles, taking a sip of her milkshake. "Thank you for this, by the way. You're a nice distraction."

"...So are you."

***