one hundred sixty six

Dinah grabs Lauren's arm on the way to the table, pulling her aside before she even has a chance to protest. Lauren shoots a glance in their friends' direction before squinting at Dinah.

"You better tell them, girl. It is so much more difficult not to tell them that you're moving here than I thought it'd be. I almost told Mani the other day while we were in the grocery store. The fucking grocery store! You'd think I'd be able to keep it out of my head in the grocery store of all places, but it is so impossible, especially since I'm me and you know I like to talk about shit. So just tell them please."

Lauren doesn't give it a second thought. "Okay."

"C'mon, Laur, you're killing me here–wait, what?"

"I'm gonna tell them. I've been looking for an opportunity to bring it up." Lauren shrugs. "Oh, and I was doing some research. I found some decently priced apartments. I found one that can accommodate all of us, but I found a few smaller ones in case they don't all want—" Dinah cuts her off by mushing her into a hug, Lauren smiling into her shoulder.

"I'm glad you don't have to leave again, Laur." Dinah mumbles.

"Me too."

They separate, though Dinah still grabs her hand and swings their arms dramatically as they approach the table. Lauren meets Camila's curious eyes as she takes the seat beside her, Dinah sitting on the other side of her. As much as Lauren loves Dinah, she knows she's just become victim to the splash zone of her and Ally's napkin battles.

"Everything okay?" Camila grabs her hand under the table, giving her a worried look that indicates she must have seen her and Dinah's moment.

"Yeah." Lauren smiles reassuringly, leaning over to peck Camila's lips sweetly.

Most of dinner consists of Dinah pulling out her camera every once in awhile, purposefully annoying Lauren by messing around with the lens and zooming in and out of her face (though she secretly loves how playful Dinah is). Lauren is thankful for the mini-distraction, her nerves building as she thinks of a way to approach what she has to share with everyone. She isn't sure why she's nervous, after all she's surrounded by people she loves and it isn't like her news is bad.

But part of her would always think she wasn't good enough for these beautiful women she'd had the chance to be around.

"Hey, uhm, girls?" Lauren grabs everyone's attention, the table falling silent. "I have something to share with all of you..."

"What's up, Lo?" Ally speaks all of them. Lauren makes eye contact with Lucy across the table, who smiles encouragingly.

"So... my dad recently got a promotion, but the thing is, along with the promotion he needs to relocate from Miami. My brother and sister are going with him, and my momma is staying in Miami. They worked out a plan where she'll come and visit, but there isn't any, like, cold blood or anything. They both wanted it that way 'cause my momma doesn't think she'll be able to support my siblings on her own, and... yeah..." Lauren rambles, everyone's eyes on her making her feel more nervous, if it's even possible.

"So... what are you doing?" She turns to face Camila. "Are you staying with your mom to go to school?"

"See, that's the thing..." Lauren smiles widely, "I'm moving to West Palm and transferring to the college here. I've already handled all the details, and I've checked out apartments... all that's left is to pick one out."

It's silent momentarily until everyone starts talking at once in an excited hurricane of loudness, and all Lauren can focus on is Camila's hands on her and the thousands of kisses being planted all over her face. Lauren is giggling when Camila stops long enough to pull Lauren into a hug. "I can't believe I never have to say goodbye to you again."

"That's not true." Lauren can feel the ramble build up. "There'll be all the times I leave for work, or when we separate to go to class, or even when I'm going to the store to get groceries—"

"But, wait," Camila pulls back, a confused look on her face, "I thought you said you were looking at apartments, why are you talking like we'll still be hauled up in my bedroom at my parent's house?"

"Oh..." Lauren looks down at where their hands sit intertwined, running her thumb over Camila's ring, unaware that the girls have calmed their talking and were watching the interaction. "I was kind of hoping you'd move in with me, but it's okay if you don't want to, I shouldn't have assumed." Lauren pauses. "Wow, we are both really bad with assuming things."

"Wait, really? You want me to move in with you, Lolo?" Camila's face is hopeful.

"Yeah, I mean, if you want to?"

Camila's smile is answer enough, though their moment is cut short by Dinah. "What about Laurinah, bitch?" Lauren turns to face her friend, about to give her a look before she sees the camera and the smirk on her friend's face. Instead, she opts to hold up a middle finger in her direction.

"This is so exciting, Lauren!" Normani cuts in, "I can't wait to go on late-night chicken wing runs with you, like, all the time." Lauren smiles brightly.

"Yeah, and now this means you can keep me sane around all these bitches." Ally says playfully, earning a scoff from Dinah. Seeming to remember something, she turns to Lucy. "Wait, baby? Are you going back to Miami?"

"Yeah..."

"What? Why can't you come with La—"

"...To pack up all my stuff and come to West Palm."

Ally lets out a breath of relief, punching Lucy in the arm. "Asshole! I was scared for a second there!"

"I know, it was adorable."

The rest of dinner Lauren feels nothing but happiness, glad to see things looking up in her life.

***