Book 1 - Part 8: Erised

Harry returned to the Common Room sometime later, to the relief of his friends, and told them most of what had happened, excluding the part of Voldemort's memories being the reason why he knew the spell, but he did include some parts about the stone.

At first, he wasn't going to tell them about the stone, but after some thought, he decided they deserved to know why Fluffy was there, and he knew they would keep this secret. Besides, Hagrid seemed to be implying that he and his friends would have figured it anyways, so didn't that mean Hagrid assumed Harry would tell his friends?

Harry also felt that he needed his friends 'in the know', at least to some degree, if anything were to happen. He didn't know why he felt so strongly about this, but he knew he needed his friends on the same page with him on this. He just hoped Hagrid would understand this when he told him that he had included his friends in on this secret.

Harry then hesitantly told them of being an Occlumens, but he knew they should know 'someone' was picking at him. He didn't tell who he thought it was, because at this point it was just speculation, and he didn't want Mr. I-stutter-and-smell-like-I-swam-in-garlic-but-can-poke-in-your-head Quirrell to somehow realize Harry was onto him.

He then told them Dumbledore's warning. That had resulted in Neville's voice cracking and Ron's face losing pigment. Hermione just looked serious. And before they went to bed, they had a moment of serious discussion, mainly about how they would keep an eye out for anything odd.

The next day, rumors and discussion were going among their peers as to what exactly happened with the troll, only knowing that Harry and his friends had stopped it.

"When do you want to go visit Draco?" Neville asked, after taking a few bites.

"After breakfast, I think," Harry said.

"Alright, but let's go in cautiously, we have no clue how he's going to be: grateful or murderous," Ron said.

- - -

Draco hated the taste of these potions, they tasted worse than spoiled milk.

Crabbe and Goyle hadn't visited, not that he cared. After Flint had said those things, they went to the power...just like Potter said.

He sighed, confused, angry, and bewildered.

What was he going to do now? Could he somehow regain the authority he once had in Slytherin?

Probably not, he reasoned. I got saved by none other than Potter and three other Gryffindors, I'll be lucky if I don't get laughed out of Slytherin...

What is my dad going to do? They've had to have told him...

"Mr. Malfoy, you have visitors," Madam Pomfrey said.

She stepped aside, and in came Harry and his three companions. Pomfrey then left to her office, giving the children a nod before going.

Harry and the others approached the bed, Draco just staring.

"Draco, you doin' better?" Harry asked.

Draco grunted.

"Good. Well, we just came to see how you were doing," Harry said simply, taking a step back to leave.

"Potter," Draco said quickly, but then looked away.

"Yeah?" Harry asked, his side to him.

Draco seemed to be thinking, either that or collecting himself enough to speak, probably both.

After a moment, he held out his hand for a shake.

Harry took it, inwardly surprised and pleased, as Draco gave a solid, respectful nod.