Book 2 - Part 16: You've Lost Old Man

Everything after the infirmary happened quickly, the word of what had happened spreading even faster.

And then other news came.

Hagrid had been called to the Headmaster's office and the Minister had come, this fact having been relayed to them by Flitwick to Harry, since he felt the Custosae should be notified, and though he didn't know how Harry contacted them, he knew that message should be sent.

Harry and the others, in the confusion of the chaos, had managed to break off and meet in the Come and Go Room for a time, knowing that this had to be dealt with now; they could no longer search for the diary or wait for Riddle to slip up now.

"I think we should go down to Salandra and set a trap for Riddle or something, even wait for him, as long as it takes!" Ron declared, furious one of his brothers had been attacked.

"I agree with Ron," Greg said. "We should have tried this earlier, but either due to feeling it wouldn't work or whatever, we didn't; but we can't think about that now. Two more prefects have been attacked, both of whom are in the Army, -and- Hagrid is now in danger of being taken to Azkaban, a horrible place I've heard my dad talk about. We need to take this head on now, we have no other choice."

"I think we should split into two groups, so one can cover for the other," Neville said.

"Who should go and set the trap for Riddle?" Draco asked.

"I will," Harry said.

"I will too," Ron said.

"The two of us will go as well," Crabbe said, Greg nodding. "We can try out some of our new spells too."

"Alright, you'll have the mirrors on you, and if you're in trouble, we'll know. We'll then get Dumbledore, even though he'll probably still be busy with the Minister. The last I heard, the Minister was still talking with Dumbledore, and one of the governors was with them," Hermione said.

"Barty Crouch Jr.," Draco stated. "Snape told me before I came here."

"Great, we really need to resolve this fast then," Neville said. "Who knows what he's doing."

"He's a part of this, this is probably part of the plan. Distract Dumbledore," Harry said.

"I think you're right," Hermione said. "Alright, go you guys. We'll cover for you."

They all nodded and quickly headed off, Harry pulling out his cloak and covering himself and Ron while hoping Crabbe and Goyle wouldn't look too out of place if someone were to see them. Luckily no one was around.

They entered the chamber quickly, going down quietly.

"Shh..." Harry said, motioning them to slow down with his hand just outside of the cloak, for he had heard voices.

:Soon... soon...: a young male voice said.

Harry and Ron (under the invisibility cloak) with Vince and Greg (having cast disillusionment charms on themselves) snuck forward, careful where their eyes were focused in case Salandra was looking their way.

They went down the chamber's hall with the statues of snake heads, their eyes falling on a still form on the floor beyond, the black book in her grasp.

Susan Bones. Unconscious on the floor.

A quiet Hufflepuff second year they barely even knew. It was actually surprising they even knew her name, and that was only because of who her aunt was.

Harry looked around, knowing Riddle had to be around there somewhere as they continued forward.

He didn't see Salandra anywhere, and wondered where she could be.