Book 2 - Part 12: Explanations and Letters

It was early, and Dumbledore was pacing in his office. He had thought over every single word Harry had quoted to him from Voldemort's rant.

Something wasn't right. Why would Voldemort say those things right before going to the Potters? Why wouldn't he say something along the lines of taking out those who opposed him or something?

What did this mean? Had Voldemort left more in Harry than just his memories of that night? Had he left his beliefs as well? Or was it something more than that?

This is maddening, why can't I grasp what must be so clearly in front of me? What should I be seeing that I'm not?

He thought more on the Horcruxes, but something concerning them with Harry was a topic he was not willing to think about, so he forced it aside when it had gotten too close.

There was too much to think about, and that previous thought he had pushed aside was just too much to take into possibility at the moment. He didn't want to even think about thinking about what it would mean if what he 'wasn't' thinking about was true...

Well, at least I know Harry is opposed to everything Voldemort desires. He would not have responded the way he had if that wasn't so, he reasoned, suddenly wondering when he would hear from the Custosae concerning his letter.

Hopefully some answers will be coming, he thought, glancing at his sleeping familiar.

Minerva had contacted Sirius that night, telling him what had happened. It took several minutes to get Sirius to calm down and not immediately floo over to personally make sure Harry was alright.

In the morning, McGonagall was just as busy. The whole Gryffindor Tower had been affected, and there was damage control to take care of. She and Dumbledore had decided it was better to share the bare facts of what had happened to all of the Gryffindors, since the boys had already been told the night before, so she went to the Girl Dormitories and gave an announcement.

Dumbledore had been right in his statement that the Houses took care of their own, and this fact never ceased to amaze even him.

McGonagall had told the girls what he had told the boys, and she later told him the only person who didn't seem surprised was Hermione.

This was a small comfort to him, and made everything a little less gloomy. Harry had friends, friends he felt secure enough with in sharing at least some things with.

McGonagall also continued by telling the girls they could speak briefly about this to the Gryffindor boys in the privacy of the Common Room, since she knew they were going to anyway, but reminded them this was a Gryffindor matter, and should stay that way. Woe to anyone who let this leak to the other Houses.

- - -

Harry followed Ron and Neville down into the Common Room. He had been briefed with what had happened before he had woken up, including the appearance of Draco and what Dumbledore had said to the other Gryffindor boys afterwards. He had been intrigued by Draco's apparent new power, but was dreading having to face the Gryffindors.

Everyone near was subdued, and Harry knew the events of last night were the reason. Continuing forward with Ron and Neville (Dean and Seamus already having left for breakfast), he saw Hermione by the fireplace, waiting.

"McGonagall spoke to us early this morning, Harry," Hermione said softly as they stopped before her.

"What?" Harry asked.

As if things weren't bad enough. No wonder everyone's so quiet, he thought.

"Don't worry Harry, this is something that will stay within the House. I've never seen McGonagall look so serious, and that's saying something. I know everyone saw that too, and looking at them..."