Book 2 - Part 11: A Night of Happenings

McGonagall sipped her tea, trying to convince herself the world wasn't coming to an end. A Gryffindor...was a Parselmouth...

Dumbledore had of course updated her on the circumstances, since Potter was in her House, she needed to be kept informed of his well being and such (he would speak with Snape the next day, since he knew Snape was currently busy making potions in the dungeons for Madam Pomfrey).

If it had been anyone else who had told her about the likely magical bond between Potter and Malfoy, she would have laughed. But it had been Dumbledore. A serious Dumbledore, and that alone was enough to get her a little concerned.

Why does everything happen around that boy? she wondered. Why does fate seem so focused on him and those closest to him?

Well, it was a quarter passed twelve, and Dumbledore had promised a more in depth talk concerning everything once he had had time to do some research and think.

She knew he should be flooing in anytime now...

A few more minutes of waiting, Dumbledore stepped out of her fireplace, looking a bit more relaxed than she had last seen him.

A hopeful sight, she reasoned.

- - -

2nd Year Gryffindor Dorm

Trevor was in his box, at first weary about the possible predator in the room, but after realizing he was in no danger, he too went to sleep—joining all the others who were out like a light.

Ron snorted in his sleep, mumbling something about Snapes blasting apart Royharts, whatever those were. Dean hugged his little stuffed dog to himself, an old companion that supposedly no one else knew about (though everyone in this dorm room did, just decided not to mention it)... Neville was curled up in a little ball, his head being partially covered by his pillow. Revlis' tongue occasionally flicked out, as if constantly gathering information from around the room. Seamus was quietly snoring, drool unknowingly escaping from the corner of his mouth.

Everyone was sleeping soundly, everyone but Harry...

He was in the Chamber and was now leaving, the Basilisk behind him.

:Stairs: he hissed, causing stairs to appear.

Going up, Harry could feel Tom's anticipation, could feel the excitement and the feeling of being invincible. He would cleanse the school, and reveal himself as Slytherin's one true Heir.

Going up the tunnel, he found himself entering...a bathroom?

Harry, seeing through Riddle's eyes, took in as much as he could.

What is Riddle doing? Is this...a girl's bathroom?! Harry questioned.

Harry's thoughts were cut short as the sound of crying reached his ears.

:Myrtle, from Ravenclaw. Mudblood. We can't have her telling where you enter from... Besides, she will provide what is needed, after all... Slughorn said a life must be taken to create a horcrux...

:Kill her: he ordered the Basilisk.

Harry was certain he had caught hesitation from the serpent, but Riddle was too focused on Myrtle to notice as the large snake grounded out:Yes, master:

"Go away!" Myrtle shouted, slamming the stall door open right as the basilisk faced her.

She was dead before her body even hit the floor...

The memory continued, Riddle quickly escaping back into the chamber with the basilisk to enchant the diary, set on creating his first Horcrux.

Harry didn't know what to think as he watched the diary glow with hate and evil, Riddle ranting about this being his first step to greatness after he had spoken the spells.