Book 2 - Part 6: Rest and Action

Harry, Neville, and Draco went down a little before dinner, hoping that they would be told about what was happening at the Burrow, for clearly something was.

Harry was about to be bold and ask Moody, but before he could approach him, the fireplace flared, quickly spilling out over a half a dozen red heads, closely followed by a wary Dumbledore.

Molly looked distressed, Arthur looked dazed, Ron was angry, the twins were confused, Ginny was lost, and Percy...Percy was attempting to look collected but was failing miserably.

"Albus, shall I tell the house elves to get more rooms ready?" Augusta asked, already tending to Molly and sitting her on the couch.

"Yes, I believe that would be wise. It has been a trying day," he said, before brushing past Arthur and going to Harry. "Harry," he said, turning Harry towards the hall and leading him out, the others in the room wisely not questioning the old wizard now.

"Yes sir?" he asked, unable to stop from looking back at his friends who had quickly gathered together, the twins joining them as well. The five of them gave him reassuring nods as Dumbledore guided him out.

Dumbledore took him to an empty guestroom and shut the door.

"What's happened sir? Did you get Wormtail?" Harry asked the moment after Dumbledore had warded the room.

Dumbledore did a good job hiding his surprise at Harry's concluding ability and answered solemnly.

"Wormtail is dead. His spell backfired on my shield. I believe he was trying to do what he had over ten years ago. If I had not put up my shield, I fear young Ronald Weasley and his mother would not be here."

"How did he get a wand?" Harry asked, stunned.

"He took Mrs. Weasley's soon after I got there. Apparently he somehow knew I was onto him," he said, sitting down on the corner of the bed in front of Harry.

"Why did you take me in here? Is this supposed to be a secret?" Harry asked.

"No, the others are being told this right now. I took you in here to tell you about someone, two someones actually. I mentioned them this morning," he answered.

"My father's true friends?" Harry asked.

"Yes. I am currently working on getting Sirius Black, I fear a terrible mistake has been made. As for Remus Lupin, you can speak with him after we are through here."

"Lupin?"

Dumbledore nodded then let a few seconds of silence pass, both of them now sitting-Harry on the corner of the bed, and Dumbledore on the chair across from him.

"Harry, I didn't have time to speak with you about what had happened at Privet Drive, could you tell me what you remember?"

"Everything happened so fast," he whispered, pausing to recall everything. Dumbledore waited patiently.

"I looked out the window and saw dark forms coming. I knew they were bad, so I told Draco and Dobby and to use the energy seeds from Neville. Then I ran down to the Dursley's and told them to get to my room because they were coming. Aunt Petunia told them to listen to me... Well, then they started banging on the doors and their chanting got louder and the house was shaking really bad then. The Dursley's ran up the stairs while I slowed them down."

"You used the table, didn't you? To block the back kitchen door?" Dumbledore asked, his eyes twinkling. Harry nodded.

"Well, I ran up the stairs, but before I could get to the hall, the front door was blasted off. I think I got one of them before I used protego and a curse hit it, knocking me down into the hall. My door was open so I ordered Dobby to seal the door. He did. Then the Death Eater came and some more spells were exchanged, but then another came from behind me, probably through a window. My wand flew out of my hands, and then she was about to kadavra me, when..."