Book 3 - Part 5: Response

Harry knew Teddy's presence would be noticed by the student body, but he never expected....

Well, like every kid, he knew how cruel children could be and how relentless their assaults can be, verbal and physical. Experience with Dudley had shown him that much, but this was taking it to a different level.

The Saturday started like any other, except that he slept in for a few hours. Ron and the others didn't question it, knowing he had met with Salandra that night.

Before lunch, now awake and dressed, Harry, Teddy, Neville and Revlis went out onto the grounds. The others still had to unpack their things in their dorms, Hermione and Ginny wanted to get to the library, and Draco, Vince, and Greg decided to go and stay in the Come and Go Room, away from people whispering about them, particularly how Greg and Vince's parents were on the loose, hunting them.

Outside, Nott and Flint and their pals were, unfortunately, on the grounds also. There were some Hufflepuffs out as well, but they were a fair distance away.

Teddy was on Harry's foot, enjoying the ride as they came under the shade of some trees. Nott and his Slytherin friends were watching, no doubt making comments about what they were seeing. Soon after, just talking among themselves wasn't enough and they approached Harry and the others.

"Hey Potter, you such a baby now that you have an ickle little teddybear with you everywhere you go?" Nott asked. "Pathetic."

Teddy's eyes had turned to the approaching boys.

"You so weak that you're hoping an animated teddybear can protect you better than yourself? Or is it because you're a cry baby and need something to cuddle and cry with after you met those dementors?!" Flint asked, the Slytherins laughing behind him.

Harry straightened at that.

How had they known what had happened? The Daily Prophet had only provided minimal information, and it certainly hadn't included the fact he had cried. Maybe they just guessed and were trying to get a reaction from him?

Teddy glared, stepping off of Harry foot to protectively stand between Harry and the Slytherins.

"You don't know what you're talking about," Neville stated boldly, coming to Harry's defense.

"Shut up Longbottom, you great lump. It's you who doesn't know what you're talking about. Potter here shouldn't have come back to Hogwarts if he knew what was good for him. Right guys?" Nott said.

They grunted in agreement, a few moving their hands toward their wands. There were seven of them.

"I can't believe Dumbledore has allowed you to drag that thing around with you. I think we should teach you that this is not a place for little babies," Nott said, his wand now in his hand.

Neville had his wand out as well, but Harry was too focused on trying to reign in his magic and not let it respond to what he was feeling to bother retrieving his wand.

"Now you'll get what's been coming to yuh," one of the other Slytherins sneered.

"Accio Teddybear!" Flint yelled.

"Ahh!" Teddy shouted, getting yanked forward and away from Harry.

"Teddy!" Harry shouted, now furious.

No one was able to follow the things that happened next, but later, they were able to piece together some of what had happened.

The Slytherins relentlessly shouted out curses and jinxes just as Neville was able to cast a moderately strong shield charm. It took over five curses before it failed.