The Church (Lauren)

Lauren's Turn! Comment on who you want to go next.
Lauren's POV

I can't sleep because I keep picturing my younger sister in my head when I close my eyes. I don't want to think of her this way but I can't help it. She's my best friend, my other half, and all anyone could want in a person. I was cursed to have her as my sister. She makes me laugh, cry, and feel so special but there's no way I could ever make her feel that way.

"Dani, are you awake?" I ask lying on the bunk under her looking at the bare bottom of her bed. I should really decorate it.

"Now I am." She uses a rude tone with me and I immediately feel bad.

Why am I so inconsiderate and selfish?

Ugh even her voice sends shivers down my spine, no matter what words are being said.

"Oh, sorry for waking you then." I apologize and stick my head in my pillow silently cursing myself for making her mad. I realize I didn't even know what I was going to talk to her about.

"You should be." She responds and I curl into a ball on my bed wanting to forget about her. It doesn't work because I close my eyes and picture her green eyes and caramel dyed hair again but this time it's a nightmare. She's acting like she just did now but right to my face and criticizing me. With her being the only person I really care about what she thinks about me, it hurts. I can't move and she won't stop so salty tears are running down my face. I feel something hit me and I open my eyes grateful for the distraction. I look and see it's one of Dani's pillows. Even though it is pitch black I can't sleep so I lie with my eyes open for hours. I wish Lisa was here so I just lay next to her. She would comfort me without needing to know the reason.

I start to get ready by grabbing my outfit and Dani has just been woken up by Christina. Christina is looking at me strangely, head cocked and eyes studying me.

In her tired state, she greets me in a low raspy morning voice, "Good morning Lauren." I makes me happy but I'm too tired to form an emotion back so I just wave to her. I just stand for a second thinking about how she could be so rude to me last night but so nice to me this morning. It's been happening a lot lately. I walk into the bathroom and straighten my messy hair but before putting makeup on I realize why Christina made that expression. I look very sleep deprived, which I am, but it's very apparent. I put makeup on but there's no way I can cover my tiredness and walk back out. I see Dani's perfectly emerald eyes in front of me. I'm stunned for a second at their natural beauty until I realize she needs my help. She's a very forgetful person so I washed her clothes for church and hung them in the bathroom. Sounds like something a maid would do but the night before I didn't sleep well either, hence being sleep deprived. I walk over to the bathroom and take them off the hanger.

"Thanks." She responds surprisingly hugging me bringing me a rejuvenating warmth through my body. When she let's go I feel cold and lost.

I walk down to the kitchen and don't smell any food which disappoints me but I grab a reluctant bowl of cereal knowing that if I don't eat now I'll be starving by lunch. After I place it in front of me I realize I have no will to eat it. I just start playing with it and think again about my only distraction. I then feel someone staring at me and it ends up being her eyes again but this time they are mean again just like her voice last night. I can't deal with my two-faced sister right now so I just get up and put my cereal away, accidentally throw the bowl away but I don't care. I grab an apple from the fridge and decide I need to get out of this house.

I start the car and slowly drive to church, knowing that only God can help me now, and sit in a row again thinking about Dani until I hear a voice, "Lauren?"

I look to the creator of the voice and see the pastor staring at me with the same face Christina gave me this morning.

"What are you doing here so early?" He asks and I don't actually know what time it is.

I sigh before answering, "Thinking."

"About what?" He asks seemingly interested.

"Everything." I'm trying to wrap my mind around the impossible.

"God knows everything so you know He can help you." I nod before going back to my thoughts he adds, "Stay as long as you need." Something clangs and reactionary I think it's my phone but I see a key. Odd but I put it in my pocket for safekeeping. I lay my head in my hands and start to pray,

I pray for some way to understand my life and why I have to feel this way. I hear muffled noises around me and feel people next to me. I'm guessing my family arrived but I stay in my own little world. Drowning in my own thoughts.