"Uncle" (Christina)

I am organizing my make up when I get a text message from Amy, and like always in all caps.
COME OVER! DANI AND LAUREN GET THEIR CASTS AND SLING OFF TODAY AND LAUREN IS COMING BACK SO ITS A WELCOME HOME AND YAY FOR HEALTH PARTY.
I read it sighing because I have no reason not to go. Katherine has the same reaction as me on the bed making me feel a little better about not wanting to see my little sisters.
"Are you going?" I ask her hoping she's not, hoping we can come up with some lie.
"I kind of have no choice." She defeatedly says back. I love my little sisters and all BUT I don't want to see what has changed about them since the accident.
"I guess." I sigh looking at my mess on the floor. I get up ready to get a move on, the faster we get there the quicker we get to leave.
"Are you going to leave that there?" She points to my make up.
"Yes." I bluntly respond leaving the room.
"COME ON!" I yell to her as she comes in rubbing her eyes. "What's the matter?" I ask concerned about my oldest younger sisters health.
"Allergic reaction, I'll be fine." She nonchalantly replies and I see how red her eyes are. She looks exhausted, like someone who hasn't slept in months. I nod not pressing it anymore as she rubs her eyes again. It truthfully is kind of cute in a childish way. It reminds me of Dani, my heart aches remembering that I have to see her. Dani always was/is an adorable napper.

"Chrissy." Dani said my name and I looked up from my homework at the tired girl. She rubbed her eyes trying to wake up quicker. Today I was in charge of the five year old because my parents were testing my responsibility. Lauren was somewhere upstairs, also my responsibility, but I trusted the seven year old to not injure herself. I put my textbook down sitting next to the young girl.
"Yes, Dan?" I asked as her big green eyes looked at me begging for something.
"Can you make me food please?" She asked sweetly making her hard to resist.
"I will but how about you ask Lauren is she wants some." She nodded rapidly.
"SUGAR DO YOU WANT FOOD!" Dani was a very loud five year old so Lauren quickly appeared at the top of the stairs.
"What are we having?" Lauren came over to us.
"Chrissy, what are we having?" Dani asked me with a cheeky smile.
"How about I make some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?" I offered and the girls both smiled.

"Christina!" I wake up from my thoughts as Katherine pokes my face. I touch my face in shock and glare at her. "You were out for like five minutes." I smile sheepishly at her wishing I could go back to my daydream. Those days were awesome besides being a normal teenage girl.
"Sorry I was just thinking." I tell her grabbing the keys. I still can't get over how much that action reminded me of Dani.
"Christina, Dani is alive not dead." Katherine's voice rings from the passenger seat. "I said that outloud?" I ask stunned and she laughs.
"Yes." She bluntly responds looking away from me. She keeps quiet for the rest of the ride until I stop. She looks at me and her eyes are even more red with wet tears streaming down her face. I immediately give her a tight hug knowing she needs one. She melts into it sobbing into my shoulder. After about a minute she gets up wiping the tears away.

We ring the doorbell and I grasp Katherine's hand telling her that I'm here. She squeezes it tightly hurting my hand but I smile along with it.
"Christina! Katherine! We missed you!" Joey smiles up at us giving both of us big hugs. Katherine's face falls though. Christian and Nick follow the same procedure giving us bright smilies. I graciously accept my little brothers hugs before moving to the living room.
"Hey guys!" Amy says looking up from watching the news. She turns it off quickly though. "How are you?" Katherine lets out a small laugh, sitting next to her.
"My eyes are swollen but otherwise I'm fine."
And the fact that you were sobbing into my shoulder five minutes ago.
"That's good, I guess?" Amy says unsure but a smile seems to be stuck on her face. "Christina, how about you?" She asks turning her sweet face towards me.
"A little nervous to be honest." I know I shouldn't keep secrets from my sisters. Amy is someone that if you lie to her she won't forgive you, well she will but it will never be the same.
"Well, you came on a good day!" Amy bounces in her seat, like she's on a sugar high. "Dani was happy this morning, happy!" I feel my heart sink at the realization. This means Dani hadn't been happy for the three weeks that I've not seen her.
"That's great!" I try to match her excitement but fail.
"Why?" Katherine asks and I sink into the sofa. It doesn't look like we're going anywhere.
"She gets to see Lauren." Amy again has a positive viewpoint on this. She expects it is going to be a fairytale or something. Life is not a fairytale but I can't break that to her.
"Do we get to see Lauren?" I ask using the word 'get' loosely. Get have to?
"Yeah, Lisa's making her come back." I look at Amy in shock.
"Come back?" Katherine asks before me.
"Oh, Lisa didn't tell you." Amy trails off looking scared to tell us. "Lisa has been the only one to see Lauren since the accident. I don't even know where Lauren has been, but it isn't here." Amy looks like she was hit by a truck. "Where was she?" She mumbles.

"I'll text Lisa." Amy decides taking out her phone.
Hopefully they'll be home soon.