Chapter 2: Hogwarts Express

Draco and Harry are sitting in the Slytherin section of the fourth year seats on the Hogwarts express. "ok that wasn't as bad as it could have been." Harry says breaking their silence.

Draco frowns and looks out the window. "if Jade had not taken my wand... those muggles would not have survived the weekend." He grumbles. "how did you tolerate them for so many years?"

Harry is about to answer, but the door to the compartment opens.

"Draco are you still going on about having to make your own sandwich?" Jade says entering the compartment. "you do realize in the muggle world that isn't insulting."

"well that's ridiculous." Draco replies looking at Jade. "not having magic is so boring. And why would I get my hands dirty making a sandwich when others could do it for me?"

"well she's right Malfoy." Harry nods. "Muggles have to do everything the hard way. From starting fires to making their food. We can do it with a simple charm or spell."

Draco looks out the window and frowns. "I don't understand why if they have no power do we have to be expected to hide among them and pretend we don't exist."

"because we have responsibility to use our powers wisely." Jade replies sitting next to Draco. "you wouldn't consider it a fair fight if you were to get into a fight with a muggle and win just because you have magic."

"that's true." Draco puzzles for a moment. "I must admit it did show me how privileged I am compared to the muggles."

"that's all wizards though." Jade reminds Draco. "this is the reason the ministry fights the death eaters so hard. Voldemort wants to rule the wizard world and use magic against the muggles." She frowns. "its horrible really."

Draco nods. "yeah I know." He replies looking back at the cart door as the candy trolley rolls past. "you all fancy a snack?" he questions.

"I could eat." Jade grins digging in her pocket for her coin bag. One of the many ways the three had used to avoid mister Malfoy was to get part time summer jobs. Jade worked helping Draco's mother around the house which kept her away from everyone besides Draco's mother.

Harry and Draco participated in a few weeks of summer camp for children younger than eleven born to wizard families. Those kids don't learn magic but instead meet with other kids and form close bonds as friends, this was something Jade had suggested to Dumbledore. As it turns out Dumbledore had been really into Jade's idea after realizing that outside of school the students don't really get along. The reason Harry and Draco were needed was because the idea of summer camp for young wizards was very underfunded and they needed volunteers to watch over things.

The trolley leaves having handed out the goodies to the three of them.

Draco bites into an enchanted chocolate rabbit and it squeals. "you know I never understood why they hex the candy to make it like it is alive." Draco mumbles as he bites the rabbit's head off. "I feel like I'd enjoy it more if it wasn't crying like I murdered its family."

Harry laughs. "yeah. I'm not really sure about that one Draco. But you got to admit even if it is charmed it still delicious." he replies eating a chocolate frog whole so it doesn't get away. When he looks at the card he notices he got Salazar Slytherin. "hm." He mumbles looking at the card.

"I have a few of those at home." Draco says leaning over to look at Harry's card. "the founding fathers of Hogwarts are rare ones but I seem to always get Slytherin."

"I got Dumbledore." Jade says sliding the card in her pocket. "I already have one of those but I'll keep it to trade to somebody else."

"so potter." Draco says with a smirk. "any big plans this year?"

"not really." Harry shrugs. "just kind of hoping I actually have some time to study... I feel like I haven't been learning up to my poetical since people keep trying to kill me."

"well I'm sure this year is bound to be different." Draco nods. "after all things can't go wrong forever right?"

Outside the window Jade looks at the large lake that runs all the way to the castle to connect with the Hogwart's Lake. "seems we're almost there." She smiles a little watching the water. "if you two don't mind I'm going to change now." She says and then pulls a third year Slytherin robe from her trunk.

Harry and Draco look away but mistaken Draco believes he hears something strange near the window and so he turns to see what it was and though she is still wearing a shirt he is embarrassed seeing her arm skin. That soon turns to worry as he notices her scar from last year had left a big horrible mark on her skin. "The wound healed but it left a huge scar there." He sighs.

Jade looks over her shoulder at Draco and nods. "weirdest thing is I can't seem to recall how I was injured..." she slips the robe on over her shirt and then takes her seat again. "it doesn't hurt though I promise."

"I still don't understand it myself." Harry frowns puzzling. "maybe the white wolf attacked jade? I mean It did drop her wand when I saw it."

"if it did then it would have been covered in blood when it found us." Draco replies. "but the thing was spotless. It might have found Jade before me and been trying to get her help... but then it was injured by Remus." He frowns and looks at the window. "I'm sure the poor thing bleed to death in the forest but at least Jade is ok."

Jade smiles a little. "that's thanks to your though Malfoy. I owe you my life."

"Consider it a perk of being a trusted friend." Draco crosses his arms and smirks. "I'd do the same for Potter or Crabbe and Goyal if I had to."

"speaking of those two nimrods..." Harry frowns. "I haven't seen them much this summer..."

"your right." Draco puzzles. "it has been while hasn't it... I'm surprised they haven't come to sit in here yet."

"perhaps they made a new friend?" Jade shrugs. "they have been less and less involved with you and Harry maybe they have their own thing they're doing?"

(meanwhile Crabbe and Goyal are actually just studying harder than normal and sleep a lot. This was because after their third year a first year student called them stupid and they wanted to prove they aren't stupid.)

"I'm sure they're around." Draco nods.

Jade nods too and looks out the window at the castle as they approach. "there is the castle." She turns to Harry. "the new year has begun."