Chapter 10: The Second Task

After enjoying the day in Hogsmade the trio return to Hogwarts. They head immediately to the library in search of the book mentioned by Viktor Krum. Harry searches a section of light reading books meant for younger students, Draco checks the older student section with slightly bigger books, and Jade checks the restricted section.

Jade finds a book about lake dwelling creatures but it isn't the one Viktor mentioned. She decides it still might be helpful so she opens it and skims through the pages. "none of these things are known for stealing things or singing..." she mumbles until she flips the page and begins reading about mermaids. "oh... wait a second... THIS IS IT ISN'T IT!?" she grabs the book excitedly and turns around. "harry i.... head master Karkaroff!?" she says shocked that she had turned around and bumped right into Igor.

"and just what are you doing in the restricted section of the school library?" Igor questions.

Jade frowns closing the book she leaves a fold in the corner of the page to mark where the section of reading is. "looking for a book obviously."

"it's in the restricted section for a reason I imagine." Karkaroff grumbles holding out his hand. "give it to me."

Jade hands the book over.

"very good." Igor sets the book on the table and then grabs her shoulder. "you'll be joining me in Dumbledore's office."

"but!?" Jade protests.

"not a word out of you." Igor snaps. He then leads her out of the library.

Draco and Harry unsuccessful in finding a book about lake creatures so they meet up in the restricted section to look for jade. "where did she run off to?" Draco wonders out loud. "she said she'd be right here."

"I think she was here Malfoy." Harry says picking the misplaced book up off the table. "this book about lake creatures is off the shelf... she must have gotten herself caught while she was reading it."

"well let's see it then." Draco says.

The two leave the restricted section and sit at a table to read the book. Harry thumbs through but doesn't find anything particularly useful. Its then that Draco notices a fold in one of the pages. "that how jade marks her place in reading texts." He comments.

Harry opens the book to that page and finds the information about mermaids. "seems Jade had this task all but figured out." Harry comments looking at Draco.

"yes but then... where did she go?" Draco questions.

The two return the book and then go back to the common room. When they arrive they still find no trace of Jade. "odd?" Draco questions. "perhaps she went to see Viktor about the task?"

"I don't know why she would." Harry shrugs. "but your probably right."

A few moments later Jade enters the common room.

"there you are!?" Draco smirks. "where did you run off to?"

"Igor caught me in the restricted section and tried to have me expelled..." Jade replies. "Dumbledore just gave me detention."

"oh..." Draco frowns. "that Igor is a terrible man. I don't understand why he has it out for you though."

"I think he knew my parents..." Jade replies. "I just can't help but feel like he never really trusted me. I'm almost certain that if he was a death eater to then he knew both my mom and dad."

"you think that's why he's giving you a hard time?" Draco questions. "that would make sense I suppose. He might think we're out to get him for some reason. Though I'm not entirely sure why he would think so."