Chapter 13: The Final Task

"champions will enter the maze in order by points scored during the first and second task." Mr. crouch says motioning towards the big grassy wall.

After some quick math harry realizes he and ceric have tied with krum being ahead by just one point. "so, then it will be krum first." Harry questions.

"indeed boy. You are very clever indeed. Krum first then harry and cedric at once because you tied and then miss... uh.... Actually I'm sorry my lady I can't seem to figure out how to pronounce your name." mr crouch mumbles the last part and then he and her get into a talk about how her name is supposed to be said.

Harry is content to just begin but something else is on his mind. "sir, if I might ask, are any students involved in this task? Aside from us four."

Mister crouch aises an eyebrow and now all four other people are looking at him questioningly. "what do you mean harry?"

"well like how the second task was. Are any students or family members involved in this task somehow?" Harry asks.

"no boy this is far too dangerous for anyone to be involved. The maze is ever changing ever weaving. And full to the brim with challenges and dangers aside from it just being a labyrinth. Why do you ask mister potter?"

"well it's just that my friend has gone missing and last time that happened she was at the bottom of black lake." Harry replies.

After harry speaks, the canon fires signaling that the first champion was to enter the maze now. Krum is allowed into the maze and he disappears.

Mister crouch turns back to harry and sighs. "I'm sorry your friend is missing but I assure you if a student was otherwise involved with this task I'm sure I would have been told."

Igor who had been quietly standing nearby places his hand over his mouth to hide the fact that he is very uneasy about this entire thing. "mister potter." He says drawing Harry's attention. "your little lestrange friend is the one you can't find?"

"yes sir, but please don't compare her to her family she is nothing like them." Harry grumbles.

"excuse me..." Igor grumbles disgusted and he turns and leaves.

"I wonder what his problem is." Cedrick replies from behind harry. "my father did tell me that man was very strange, but he's been acting weirder and weirder since the tasks have started."

A cannon fires and mister crouch put's his hands on Cedrick and harry's shoulders. "time to go."

The two are ushered into the maze and the wall closes behind them.

Harry glances at Cedrick. "we have a better chance of finding the cup in the center if we split up."

"I agree. It'll will be over faster if we take different routes." Cedrick smiles slightly and turns to harry. "do be careful mister potter."

"you as well Diggory." Harry nods. The two then turn and head opposite ways.

-in he stands-

Draco is worried about harry in the maze. "I feel so, useless. He's down there all alone and there isn't a thing I can do to help him."

"Draco my son." Lucius says having not heard what draco was saying. "you have not written to your mother this year."

"hu?" draco questions. "oh! Wait I didn't write you once?"

"not once." Lucius replies again. "I was expecting a letter about your stay with the muggle family. Then I was expecting another telling us how the tournament was going this year but you remained silent. And don't think I didn't notice that you weren't home during summer break either." Lucius mumbles. "at first I thought you were becoming responsible, but it really seems like you are avoiding me draco."

"a-avoiding!?" Draco gasps. "no, I swear dad I've just been very busy with school work."

"well no matter. The time is drawing nearer." He glances at the sun as it is nearing its peak position. "the task might seem easy but I'm sure it'll take a few hours."

"really? It'll take that long?" Draco worries.

"you didn't think this was going to be easy did you?" Lucius chuckles. "I would be surprised if they manage to complete this before the sun goes down."

-inside the maze-

Harry is wondering around with his wand drawn. Anything could happen at anytime and he was so sure he was prepared that he didn't even think twice when he saw Viktor Krum standing perfectly still blocking the path. "Viktor!?" harry calls out. "is this the right way?"

Without an answer Viktor attacks harry. Spells bound around the area as harry deflects some of them while others hit him on the shoulders and the chest. He can't take another hit when suddenly Cedrick bursts into the clearing and seeing Viktor attacking harry he rushes to aid his friend. Cedrick binds Krum with a simple binding spell and then helps harry off the ground. "you ok harry?"

"yeah I think so. I don't understand why Viktor attacked me like this." Harry huffs out of breath from fighting off Krum's assault.

Viktor begins to break free of the spell and starts coming after them both.

"we should run." Cedrick says grabbing harry's arm. "I don't want to hurt him."

Harry nods and they both run. Behind them Viktor gives chase firing off spelling over their heads. "he must be bewitched!" Harry yells. "the Krum I knew would never act this way."

"come on harry this way!" Cedrick yells pulling harry to the side. Viktor doesn't seem to notice and runs right past them going the other way. "wow that was close."

"yeah it was thanks Cedrick." Harry nods. "if you hadn't come by when you did I might have been in big trouble."

"we still might be in trouble." Cedrick replies. "there are two ways to try."

"should we split up again?" harry asks.

"yeah I'll try this way. Good luck harry." Cedrick runs the other way.

Harry ducks around the corner and runs down the path eventually he rounds a corner and trips. "owww what oh my merlin!?" he backs away as he witnesses Flure the female champion being dragged into hedge her wand lay on the ground nearby her hand stretched out towards it but it's out of reach. "harry..."

Harry takes up the wand and shoots off a flare of red into the sky then he tosses her wand down by her hand and runs the other way. "I'm sorry Flure help will be coming soon."

-a few hours later-

At the end of the task harry runs into Cedrick again and they both take the long stretch of path leading towards the shiny goblet. Its right then Lucius stands up and looks at his son. "come with me now son."

"but the task is almost over." Draco grumbles "and it has been several hours and jade has still n..."

"must go now." Lucius grumbles leading the way down the steps of the stands. Once behind the stands and out of view he grabs hold of Draco's shoulder and the two turn into a cloud of smoke and disappear.

In that same instance harry and Cedrick both grab hold of the goblet and vanish.