Mheetu's Death

Aurora's POV

It's been about a month and a half since Mheetu joined the pride official. He is now nearly five months old and has started to grow a brown mane. Nuka has been growing also and can now walk with his eyes open. Right now Nala, Tama and I were hunting the antelope herd as it was that season.

Mary was looking after Mheetu today as food was scarce and we need as many hunting parties as possible to ensure we all get food. It's now the dry season and two herds have migrated to new feeding grounds. Scar says they'll return, but Sarabi and I doubt it. They'll only return is Zira's hunting party does not start following the hunting laws. We have already lost a few of our lionesses to starvation and exhaustion.

"Hey Aurora, do you want to meet Chaka tomorrow?" Tama asks. She had been seeing this Chaka for nearly two weeks. However, he wasn't alone an other rogue lion is with him. She has been trying to set me up with him for the last week.

"Fine, can we focus on the hunt now?" I ask and she nods her head. We wait for Sarabi's signal and she gives it identifying two targets. Once she was sure we got the message she gave chase to the herd. Nala, Tama and I separated the smaller antelope targeted from the herd. While Sarabi and the others separated the older antelope picked.

Tama jumped onto it's back bringing it down and Nala joins in to hold it to the ground. "Switch on three Tama" I tell her and she nods her head. "One, two, three" I state and we switch places. When the antelope finally began to tire Tama striked at it's neck killing it.

We roared letting the others know of our success and they roared back signaling their success as well. So we dragged the kill to them as Scar arrived with his and Zira's pride. They got to eat first even though they didn't hunt or kill the food. They left little on the bigger antelope and the smaller one most lowly untouched.

They left and we ate the rest of the two kills. "Where were the hyenas?" Tama asks confused.

"She's right, their usually here by now" I state looking around.

"I'm sure their just on patrol, no doubt they'll be here when we leave to eat what is left" Mother assures us. Sarafina, Tama and Nala still looked worried though. I know they were thinking about Mheetu and Tama was thinking of her mother. We soon finished eating and Sarafina leads Mother, Nala, Tama & I in search of Mheetu and Mary.

However after an hour of searching neither answered to our calls. "Why aren't they answering? Mother always answers my call" Tama states. Mother and I are also worried, something wasn't right about this.

"Mheetu!" Nala shouts running towards her little brother.

"No" I say as I tear up as Nala cries other Mheetu's dead body with their mother beside her in tears also. I place my head under my mothers seeking comfort as we both cried. When a cry of despair was heard from Tama and we look to see her mother covered in injuries barely drawing birth.

"Mother talk to me, what happened?" Tama asks trying to help her mother stand.

"Hyenas everywhere, I tried to hold them off so that Mheetu could escape. But he didn't leave and tried to help me fight. The hyenas over powered us and stopped me from protecting Mheetu. They killed him and then left me to die" Mary explains in a strained voice. "I'm sorry I failed you both Nala and Sarafina, please forgive me?" she begs.

"We don't blame you Mary" Nala states in a hoarse voice.

"You duty is done, rest in peace" Sarafina tells her.

"Tama I love you with all my heart, Sarabi you were always my true queen and Aurora don't let your parentage stop you. For your past does not define you and neither does your parents" Mary tells us. "Goodbye my daughter and friends" she says closing her eyes.

"No mother don't live me, I love you. Your going to make it" Tama states trying again to get her mother to stand. I pull her away and she tries to fight me, before she falls to the ground sobbing. We all moan the lose of Mheetu and Mary together as the pride joins us.

Tonight we all sleep together by Mary and Mheetu's dead bodies. We all reaffirmed our pride bonds with grooming and roaring to the sky. An other roar from outside our lands joined our moaning calls. Nala said it was her and Mheetu's father.

A/N

Picture above of Nala grieving over Mheetu's dead body. Picture on the external link of Mary (she has purple blue eyes, not a reddish brown colour.)