Chapter 12: I believe in true love

Nandani's POV

"There is a good news for you....Cabir has organised a dinner with Adit and everyone tonight." Manik said as he entered the room from the office.

"Ahh....okay!" I said. "Can I get you coffee, you look tired!" I asked as he sat on the sofa and loosened his tie.

"Don't, I will get used to it." He said and closed his eyes while I still went on to get him a cup of coffee. I entered the room to see Manik still sitting on the sofa with his eyes closed. He perhaps had fallen asleep. I placed the coffee mug on the table and went close to him. First I removed his shoes and then held his feet to place them on the sofa so he could sleep completely, just then he woke up! "What are you doing?" He asked while I just looked at him.

"I though you were sleeping so I was trying to...." I said but he got angry.

"Don't...please don't keep doing these things." He said and got up. Why was he reacting like this...why is he behaving like he used to before. Just when I though everything was fine between us, it's getting the same once again. "Sorry...I didn't mean to...! Just don't do these things for me, I don't like it." He said in a calmer tone.

"Okay...what, what are you wearing tonight?" I asked to change the topic.

"I am not coming tonight, there is a lot of work so I will have to stay back. You will have to go alone." He said. Why is he doing this? He knows I need a friend, then why?

"Manik please, please come. You know I need you...I need a friend. Please! I will help you do your work, I promise." I asked rather pleaded.

"Nandani...." He said looking at me. Why is he behaving like this with me, did I do something wrong? "Fine...I will come!" He said and walked out to the balcony.

"Manik, can I ask you something?" I asked as I followed him out.

"Hmm...." He said as I followed him out.

"Why are you helping me?" I asked while his back faced me.

"Because, I believe in love!" He said. It took me by surprise to hear this from him. Did he mean that he liked me? "My grandmother had amnesia...she forgot everyone, her son, her parents everyone....except my grandfather. If it wasn't for their true love, I don't think she would have ever remembered him. If your love is true for....Adit, then I should help you." He said and looked at me.

Why did I expect him to like someone like me. "But then, why don't you look for your true love? Why did you keep jumping from one girl to another?" I curiously asked.

"Who says I didn't find one? It's just that I can't have her..." He said. One thing about Manik was that his eyes expressed the truth all the time. Even now, his eyes held the pain, the need, the love for her. Lucky girl!

"Why can't you have her?" I asked.

"I too ask that question everyday, 'why can't I have her,' sadly nobody answers!" He said looking back towards the balcony. Who knew that he hid so much pain in his eyes. "Anyways, let's get ready. We will get late." He said and went in while I saw the coffee mug, unwanted and left aside, just like the two of us!

As we entered Cabir's house we saw all of them already there, seated having a good time. "You guys are late." Navya said and got us in.

"Hi everyone, hi Adit!" I said while Manik just went in and sat on the sofa. I shouldn't have reminded him of his girlfriend, he is feeling so low now.

"Hi Nandani, how are you?" Adit asked while I attempted a conversation hoping he does not find out about me and Manik.

"Okay guys...let's get back to where we were before these two walked in. Adit...you promised to sing once everyone gathered. So would you mind...." Mukti said while Aaliya too rooted for him.