Chapter 19: Divorce papers!

Nanadani's POV

Today was the function and I was trying to drape the saree in a rush. Mom was already ready and here I was struggling. Only if Manik was here, I could have asked for his help. Anyways, Manik will reach to the venue directly. I could not function fully on an empty stomach. The mess on the bed was so much and I had no time to clean it. I decided to pile it all up and stuff it into the cupboard. Hope Manik won't kill me for this. It was so much that I had to use Manik's space too. To my fear, some papers from Manik's cupboard fell out. They must have been so important and I was placing my mess on it. I took a glimpse of the papers while I was picking them up and felt the shock of my life.

It was divorce papers, and they were already signed by Manik. I looked at the date and it was drafted during the time Manik asked me to go back to my house. Suddenly, it all made sense. His behaviour towards me, his ignorance, it all made sense. Tears welled up in my eyes and an unknown fear got to me. He wanted to be freed from this deal of ours. We both had mutually agreed to this but why does it matter now? Of course, it matters. Our parents will be so hurt. They would be so disappointed to hear this. Manik should have thought this through. But these papers were ready almost a month ago, then why did he take so long? Maybe he is hesitant to ask. "Nandani," Manik's mother called. In a hurry, I quickly placed the papers back to how I had found them.

"Coming," I said with my voice cracking and quickly started to get myself sorted. Just then, I thought of Manik asking to give him something if he attended this function. It was probably this. He probably wanted to ask for my signatures on these papers. I had promised him to not ask any questions and to do whatever he wanted. Maybe if he had asked me this in person, I wouldn't be able to do it. Maybe, it's good that I found out this way. Before any other thoughts took over my head, I quickly found a pen and signed the papers. I left them as they originally were and took out the pile of clothes and left it on the bed. I wanted to leave no evidence that I had touched the papers. Because as soon as Manik sees the papers then it will be an end to this deal. The two of us, will no longer need to stay together.

Manik's POV

I got to the function venue and had been waiting for almost an hour, but there was no sight of Nandani and Mom. Travelling around all day and had no chance to grab a meal. Eating now would be so rude, especially when all these ladies have been fasting. Would Nanadani have kept this fast today? Grrr, the hunger is not making my brain work. I could faintly see Nanadani walk through the crowd in a red saree. She always looked beautiful but she looks a tiny bit more pretty today. As mom and she walked in they spotted me and walked towards me. Mom was so happy that I had attended this function. "Finally, I got my son to attend this event." She said pulling my ear.

"Mom, stop. This is embarrassing." I complained as she treated me like a little kid. She giggled and left to attend to her friends.

Nandani was standing next to me so quietly that I almost thought she wasn't there. "Hi!" I called out to pull her attention towards me. She faintly smiled and nodded in acknowledgment. I was so excited to see her but she looked indifferent. Her reaction was not surprising as she has always been like this to me but it still hurts. She awkwardly stood next to me and looked around. We greeted a few of our relatives and Nanadani walked away to Mom for the puja ceremony. She was behaving so weirdly today. For the past few days, she had been very chatty. I wonder what is going on in her mind today. I got it! It is probably her empty stomach making her feel hungry and exhausted. Mom would have pushed her too fast today against her wish. I pulled Mom on the side and whispered to her, "Mom, did you force Nandani to fast today?"

Mom looked at me surprised and said, "Are you Mad? Why would I force her? She said she wanted to do it for you. I even got her favourite paneer jabeli for dinner later because she asked. Why are you doubting me?" She was slightly hurt as I asked her this.