Part 8

"They have the shittiest pie ever, trust me."
"I call bullshit."
"How do you know you've never been."
"Have you?"
"Yes! The pie tastes like ass."
"How do you know what ass tastes like?"
"You don't know what I've done with my spare time." ______ winked.
Dean scrunched up his face. "Dude, what the hell." He turned into the convenience store parking lot. Sam rolled his eyes and climbed out of the passenger door as ______ and Dean kept on bickering.
"A crackhead could make better pie than that shit restaurant."
"I'll believe it when I taste it, sweetheart." ______ rolled her eyes and walked down the chip aisle of the small store, trying to decide between Fritos and Lays. She eventually made her decision and grabbed a soda from the back fridge, also grabbing a couple of slices of apple pie.
She met Sam and Dean at the checkout counter, with Dean holding more beer and pie as well. Sam, being the most mature in this situation, rolled his eyes again and placed the several items he had picked on the counter. These included most of the healthier items from the store, as well as some coffee beans and a pre-made cup of the hot, dark liquid.
As the older woman, probably late sixties or early seventies by the looks of her, was bagging their items, she started up a conversation.
"Find everything okay?" Her voice was a little croaky but still sweet and caring. _____ saw, out of the corner of her eye, Dean place a hand on the knife in his pocket.
"Yes ma'am."
"That's good. I don't believe I've seen you three around this town much. Are these two men your fathers or..?"
______ smirked as she saw Sam and Dean give the lady the "we're brothers not gay" bitch face. "Actually, one of them is my uncle, the other is my dad."
"Oh, how sweet." She handed them all the groceries. "Well, you all have a nice day then."
______ smiled. "You too."
Back at the car, ______ glared at Dean. "Why were you gonna pull a knife on the old lady?"
"I thought she might be a demon! I can't really tell if she is or not!"
"Well then next time I'll tell you." She opened the car door with a creak and slammed it shut. Dean gave her a quick glare before climbing in the car as well.
     Their next stop was the gas station. Baby had been running low after the last trip the boys had made, and it was also right next to where the boys bought their hunting supplies. So, while Dean refueled his beloved impala, ______ and Sam stopped next door to purchase more equipment.
     "Hey ______, what you said back there at the store about one of us being your dad-"
     "It's nothing." She shot him down. "I was just lying to get the old woman off my case. Don't think to much of it."
     "Okay. But, if you do ever need to talk to anyone, we're right here, okay?"
     She looked over at him, narrowed her eyes, then looked away again. "Yeah, okay."
     As ______ gathered up some salt, Sam sorted through the cheaper silver. When they got up to the counter, Sam asked ______ quietly "do you have a gun of your own?"
     "No, why?"
     Sam pulled a folded piece of paper out of his wallet: his gun license. "Let me see the revolver over there." He said, pointing to a hand held pistol at the other side of the cabinet.
The red haired gentleman behind the counter glanced between Sam and the license for a minute, before turning to grab the gun. ______ gave Sam a quizzical look as he took the gun from the salesman. Sam held it for a moment, looked at ______, then handed it back to the store clerk.
"Three boxes if ammunition please."

Back at the bunker, Sam took ______ with him to the shooting range. He handed her a revolver a lot like the one in the store earlier.
     "Sam, what're you doing?"
     "Have you ever fired a gun before?"
     "Well, yes, but I have the aim of a stormtrooper."
     "The lets work on that."
     The two spent the next hour trying to improve her aim, which ended up taking a little longer than an hour.
     All the while, Dean was in the other room melting down the silver Sam had bought. He was so caught up in what he was doing, he didn't notice the flutter of wings that accompanied Cas's entrance until he placed his hand on Dean's shoulder.
     "Damnit Cas."
     "Hello Dean."
     Dean turned towards Cas, who was (surprisingly) wearing only his black slacks and button down t-shirt. His hair was a mess, different edges sticking up all over his head. His eyes were worn, but his smile was calming and happy. All in all, he looked pretty hot.
     Dean felt his face grow warmer as he looked up at Castiel longer, and he frowned and looked back towards the silver.
     "Are you alright Dean? Your head has become very feverish." Cas said, placing his palm on Dean's forehead. "You have also turned very red. Should I go get Sam?"
     Cas began to walk away, but Dean grabbed his hand and pulled him down into the seat across from him. "Sit down, Cas. I'm fine."
     They sat in silence, spare the faint noise of guns firing from the shooting range. Cas stole a glance at Dean before settling his eyes on his hands.
     "Where are your clothes?"
     "Gabriel took them."
     "Of course he did." Dean sighed.
     After a moment, Dean again picked up the conversation.
     "Hey, Cas."
     "Yes Dean?"
     "You can tell if someone has had... health issues, right?"
     "You're worried about ______, aren't you?"
     "I can't tell what they're from. Those cuts had to be a blade if some sort, but I don't know if it's torture or not." Dean turned his eyes from the direction of the shooting range to Castiel.
     "Unfortunately, I do not think she wants the help, Dean. I know you care for her, but it might be best to let her be."
     He looked back at the shooting range. "Yeah, you're right. Wanna help me melt the rest of this?"
     "Sure."