Chapter 9 ~ James

James  walked next to Emily it seemed surreal. Here she was walking next to him. Rambling on about finals. Not that he cared her rambling was cute to him. 
She was worrying about her biology final currently. She really worried too much about school. He let his mind wander to the first time he met her.
Flashback to homecoming
He was with his date, Sarah, then she walked in.  Pink dress. High heels. A pretty smile.  Curled hair. He chided himself for looking, but he couldn't help it.  He liked what he saw. His smile dropped when he saw she had a date. "Hi, I'm Emily. This is my boyfriend Gale." He smiled back at her. "I'm James." He turned to Sarah to ask if she wanted to get a drink. She shrugged a response . She barely talked to him. It was clear she'd rather be here with anyone else. Luckily Emily spoke up. "I'd love a drink. Let's go,  Sarah." She flashed another smile. It was beautiful. He chided himself again. Not his date.  Taken. He told himself. He was dancing when he felt eyes on him.  He looked around and saw Emily. He smiled to himself. Her boyfriend was a major asshole.  He decided to make his move. He scooted closer to her while dancing. Not that her date or his noticed.  They were busy flirting.  He moved closer. She simply smiled at him and didn't move.
He took that as a plus.  They stayed most of the night like that.  He thought about making moves, but he didn't. Too nervous.  She probably didn't like him that way. He had a million excuses. He thought how it would be to hug her. She looked so sad.  She could definitely use one. He had a million openings, but he didn't.  He left for the bathroom and when he came back he heard yelling followed by a slap.  He saw Gale grab his cheek.  "You bitch! " At the center of the circle was Emily nearly in tears.  She held her hand like it might break. He didn't know why, but he came up next to Emily and said something incredibly stupid. "Better get my popcorn out. " He  braced himself for the slap. She didn't slap him, but threw her head back and laughed. It was beautiful. Even the coldest of his heart felt something for her. Watching her run after Gale who was planning on leaving her. It made him feel bad for her. Upset that Gale for a girl like that and could care less about her. He definitely didn't deserve her.  Not that James did either. She apparently found Gale because she never came back which disappointed him.
End of flashback
Emily tilted her head her blonde hair covering one of her eyes. "What are you thinking about, buttons? " He smiled at the nickname she gave him. "Just the day I met you. " She smiled. Her blue eyes lighting up. "I had a tiny crush on you. " He smiled thinking of all the times he watched her and his own crush. "Really?" She nodded her hair blowing in the wind.  They were walking to his house for tutoring. Which was really Emily yelling at him to do his work. The girl could he bossy.  His friends said he was whipped. It was true,  but he didn't want to admit it. She snaked an arm around his waist. "Did you hear anything I said? " He wrapped his arms around her shoulders.  Because of the height difference it was reversed.  "Not all. " He laughed and she hit him over the head. He rubbed his head.  "It's hard to concentrate with such a beautiful girl next to me  " She blushed and hid her face. He laughed and kissed her hands. "Cute. " He smiled to himself. Content with how things took a turn for the better this year.