fourteen |

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

-Leonardo DaVinci.

Being out in space was scary, but more than that it was absolutely thrilling. I almost didn't notice Vree's arm wrapped around my waist as we floated there, arms distance from the mother ship. I felt light, so, so incredibly light. It felt like swimming. 

And the stars. The stars. God- there were so many of them. Dimming and brightening, far and close. 

"I feel like I can reach out and touch them." I breathed. 

Vree navigated the empty space, the feet of his space suit letting out a gush of air that propelled us towards the fighter jet. 

"The stars?" He asked. 

"Yes." I said, my eyes glued to everything around me, completely in awe. 

He let out a hmph sound, close to laughter. The fighter jet was bigger than it looked inside the ship. A slated gray metal, sturdy looking. The half glass cocoon above the sharp nose of the jet seemed sturdy, impenetrable. 

"If you got close enough to one of them, you wouldn't want to touch them." He said idly, dialing numbers on the glass of the jet until the small cockpit opened, revealing an intricate dashboard filled with buttons and gadgets, and a single chair, big enough for the warriors of Vree's people, no doubt. 

Probably not big enough for a warrior plus one tiny human. 

He stuck his foot into the jet, loosening his arm and resolving to holding my hand as he sat down inside. I hovered slightly above the wings of the jet. 

"Come." Was all he said, gesturing to the space between his legs.

I rose my brows, "Excuse me?" 

He looked at me blankly, "This is where you will be sitting."

I blushed, of course. I examined the spot, it seemed awfully. . . cozy. I felt my body heat with the idea of being so close to him, in such a position. 

He continued tiredly, "Of course we could reverse positions, but I might squish you, and there isn't much to see if I were to block your view." 

With a huff, I gathered my courage. With one hand, Vree tugged me inside as I held onto the edge of the opening, and pushed myself inside. 

The inside of the fighter jet was cramped. Pressing a button on a dial pad to the right, Vree closed the door of the cockpit. Immediately, the jet began exhausting air into the jet, and I felt the force of gravity once again as my weight pressed against Vree's chest. 

He fit my snuggly between his legs, belting us in closely together, I felt my face flush.

Quietly, he worked, pressing another button on the dial pad near the entrance which sent all the buttons and gadgets on the dashboard to light up. 

"We will keep our helmets on, for safety." He noted. I nodded, eagerly watching everything he was doing. 

He clicked some switches up, pressed a few buttons, read some guages, then pushed a red button with a symbol on it. Holding the button, he spoke roughly, "Damor morok devdklo."

A few seconds later, a speaker located next to the button sounded, another voice said just as roughly, "Zriukko."

Vree let go of the button, then said, "The craft is clear for flight, are you ready?"