sixteen |

"You cannot look up at the night sky on the Planet Earth and not wonder what it's like to be up there amongst the stars. And I always look up at the moon and see it as the single most romantic place within the cosmos."

- Tom Hanks

. : * : . 

I almost gasped at myself in the mirror. The dress was a deep green and seemed to sparkle each time I shifted. The fabric was thin, and the color grew deeper the closer it got to my feet. It was lightly embellished with faint intricate circles, looping their patterns around the entirety of the dress. 

It was cut with a deep v-neck, and slits on both sides of the length of it, underneath I wore a soft mini skirt of a lighter shade of green. From the skirt dangled tiny gold gems and thin chains. 

I twirled around a bit in front of the mirror, taking in my appearance. I peeked back into the bag, and contemplated the sheer green fabric, unsure if I was supposed to tie it around my waist, my head, wear it as a veil-- who knew. 

I opted to simply pick it up and wait to ask Vree. I was about to exit and wait in the living room when I paused in my footsteps and looked to the nightstand near my bed. I paced toward it. Then stopped myself. Then walked back to the door. Then sighed loudly, and went over to the nightstand, opening the drawer.

It was empty with the exception of the bracelet I made Vree. 

I stared at it and frowned, remembering that Solhelk told me Vree would be very happy to receive it. 

With a sigh, I picked it up and clenched my fist around it. 

Vree was giving me this dress. He let me drive a space jet. So it was only right I'd give him something in return. Hopefully it'd make up for all my crying, and bitching, and screaming, and crying, and blaming. And crying. Lots of crying.

I was rational enough to know that being stuck in space for weeks, maybe months, could do terrible things to the human psyche, especially if I didn't get any sun and kept eating mushy soup. 

I just had to brave it out.

I felt the fabric of the dress against my skin. I continued to clench the bracelet in my hand.

"This is your life now, Naomi." I told myself, "You deal with what you got and make good out of what you can." 

With a deep sigh, I gathered my resolve. Things were looking up. I just had to keep assuring myself that I was somehow breaking through to his cold exterior. I just had to move on. I couldn't keep thinking about what was lost, or what he may think of me. I had to keep going. The past fews days, he had shown me he wanted to get along. I could get along with him, and if we could at least become friends somehow, I could convince him that he could keep me, maybe not as a lover, but as a friend, and by keeping me I could feel less lost in whatever new planet I'd be fated to live in. 

I figured that we had a huge cultural difference, about millions of lightyears of cultural differences. I just had to figure out how to work with him, and he with me. 

With that thought in my head, I went out of my bedroom and into the living room, sitting on the couch and waiting patiently for my grumpy space pirate. 

When Vree finally came out of the bathroom, he wore his usual black on black on black getup. I stood a bit too hastily, to which he just stared at me, saying nothing. 

Completely self conscious about how I appeared in his people's traditional clothes, I felt my face get hot. "Hi." I said dumbly.

The corner of his lip twitched as he stood there in contemplation, before noticing I was holding the last piece of the ensemble which I didn't know how to place on myself. He strode over to me, "This," he took the thin veil like fabric from my hand, "is worn like this."