Ghost | J. Barnes

GhostFor @SierraScott

Ghost
For @SierraScott

warnings: noneeee

sorry updates are so slow, i haven't forgotten about you guys, especially those of you who have requested something!! writers block is just being a bully

this imagine takes place when bucky visits the captain america exhibit after the insight helicarrier incident with steve and remembers bits of his identity as bucky barnes.

–✧–

You squinted your eyes, trying to focus your vision on the top of the building that towered in front of you.

The Smithsonian Institution sat confidently in front of you, each crevice, each crack, each chip, contributing to it's pretty face.

The first time you had visited it was with your grandma when you were six, but you couldn't have understood much of anything there at that age. You just marveled at the big, detailed displays that were showed off at every inch of the place.

Your mind was filled with flashbacks of when you would visit it whenever you could. How your favorite exhibit was the Captain America one, how you would read each panel in that exhibit word for word, and never skimmed a single paragraph like you did at the other displays.

Especially the panels about Bucky; you'd linger on them for longer than necessary. No one talked about him enough. There Bucky was, packed between all of Steve's glory, yet he still stood out the most, and stuck to you.

Your grandma had the most to say about Bucky too. She told you stories about him from when she used to worked as a nurse in the 107th Infantry Regiment, that no museum could ever know about. These stories drew you in even more, till you were completely wrapped up in admiration for him.

Walking in, you got the same feeling in your tummy that felt so familiar, the only conclusion you came to is that you must've felt the same when you were six and came here for the first time. The overwhelming sense of curiosity, the need to explore, and fascination for everything the Smithsonian had to offer.

Everything was exactly how you remembered it, more or less. The banners were different, so we're the people. You weren't in your favorite outfit like you were when you were six, and your hands were in your pockets, instead of in your grandma's gentle grasp. But the sounds of overlapping voices, and the smell of stone and shoes was the same.

Crazy, how the smallest details just stuck so far out in your mind that you could just reach out and touch them.

After some while of wandering, you finally walked up to the Captain America exhibit. A sigh left your lips, followed by a small smile, as you took in the panels detailing Steve's life before the serum, the Howling Commandos and all the different replicas.