VII. Annoying Annie

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

A YAWN escapes my lips as I take off my seatbelt. I've currently put the car in park while I scroll through my phone while waiting for my friend James to come back from getting a Slurpee refill from Tippy's.

James had messaged me earlier asking for some guy time since all he's done this week is hang with his girlfriend.

My fingers tap the screen as I scroll back up to look at an advertisement for a job position at a law firm. 

I screenshot the picture and send it to Talia. Apparently her resumé looks 'dry' and she needs more quotes from where she's worked at before and a law firm is right up her alley.

BEEP

James H. sent a message.

He's been in there for more than ten minutes yet he's texting me?

I swipe across the notification and get the conversation history along with his message.

James H: Dude, the slurpee machine isn't working but this chick has been flirting with me for the past five minutes and won't let me go.

BEEP

James H: She doesn't believe I have a girlfriend, come distract her or smth

Of course, this would happen to James out of all people. I throw my phone on the passenger seat and put on my sunglasses before stepping out.

I lock the car as I exit the parking lot and stuff my wallet into my joggers. 

It doesn't take long for me to notice the curly redhead stood twirling a strand of hair standing opposite my best friend close to the exit.

Guess she must've hooked him right before he was leaving.

"Listen, I've told you this multiple times already," James huffs. "I'm. Not. Interested."

"Just one date?" The redhead pushes.

I clear my throat as I stand next to James, "We're going to be late for the game man, come on."

The redhead immediately turns to face me and gives me a once over, "What game?"

"Uh," I utter. "Baseball?"

She gasps and slaps James' arm, "You didn't tell me you play baseball Kevin!"

Did I hear that correctly.

Kevin?

What a miserable lie.

"Yeah, Kevin," I muse. "Why didn't you tell her you played baseball."

The glare that's shot at me after I utter those sentences is surely sharp enough to kill.

He slaps my shoulder before dragging me by the arm, "We're going to be late for our game, bye."

I let out a laugh as we exit the first set of sliding doors and James shoots me a look, "The fuck Theodore."

"What do you mean, Kev," I laugh again.

He shakes his head, "She was a pain in the ass, I tried to leave and she'd wrap those sharp ass nails around my arm like what the fuck is up with that."

I unlock the car and step in while I try and stop the chuckles from escaping me.

I take a breath as I hear my phone vibrate and James hands it to me, "It's Talia."

"Yes, baby sis?" I answer after pushing the key in the ignition. 

I hear her sigh on the other end before replying. "Are you still at the store?"

"Yeah, what do you need," I say and pull my lips up in disgust as James spits out his gum from the window.

"Oh great!" Talia exclaims. "Buy me some tofu."

What the f-

"Tofu?" I ask again. "That's gross Talia what are y-"

"Just buy it," she cuts me off.

Before I get the chance to reply she hangs up and leaves me with the words in my mouth.

I sigh and tell James to wait for me whilst I go back in the store.

The moment I enter the store I catch the eyes of a pissed off redhead. 

"I thought you had a game to go to," she says and pushes herself off from the wall to follow me into the vegetarian aisle.

I ignore her and grab some random brand I've never heard before while the redhead treads behind me.

"You lied then," she voices.

I reach the counter where the cashier who'd jokingly flirted with me the last time scans my items. 

"I'm speaking to you," the redhead waves her hands in front of my face.

This girl is working on my nerves.

"Do you ever shut the fuck up?" I glare at her.

She scoffs, "You're rude."

"Congratulations on figuring that out," I answer while handing the cashier the amount.

"You're really rude," she says again.

I turn to look at her, "I really don't give a flying fuck now can you leave me alone?"

"I'm so going to get you banned from here," she fumes.

I sigh, "If it means that you go away then, please, get me banned."

The cashier intervenes, "Annie, go to the back room right now before I tell your aunt that you're harassing the customers."

Annie huffs before strutting away muttering a few curse words under her breath.

"Sorry about that, she's the manager's bratty niece and is here until her mother comes to pick her up at nine," she explains and hands me my change.

 No longer in the mood to speak, I nod and start walking to the exit.

My eyes scan the supermarket hoping to see the familiar blonde locks I've fallen infatuated with but come up with nothing and catch the eyes of the cashier instead.

"Ella's not here today," she winks at me. "The blonde you're looking for."

I feel my face become heated and exit the store with a much quicker pace.

Is it really that noticeable that I seem to have something for her?

Whatever.

On the bright side I finally have a name to add to her face.

Ella.