XV. Bruised

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

WAKING UP with an ache in your eye definitely ruins the day. I sigh at the sight of my blue hued eye in the mirror.

My eye isn't swollen but bruised to the point you would think someone punched me as hard as they could. 

Okay, maybe not that bruised but it still has a light blue hue.

No one has seen Nonna since yesterday evening after dad had a talk with her alone after she threatened to throw mom with the remote too.

Old ladies do have short tempers, I'll assure you that.

Mom said Nonna's went to sleep in the pool house to avoid us after Talia found her room empty in the morning.

Nonna had even declared us a 'Nonna-less family' from now on.

Talia laughs at me as I walk into the dining room for lunch and my mother shakes her head. 

"Your sister's covering up your bruise with her make up later, you can't look like a raccoon at dinner," she says as she cuts a piece of broccoli on her plate.

At the same moment dad walks in, "You better cover it up well Talia."

She groans in response, "It's not my fault he has slow reaction time!"

"Well," dad shrugs. "It's your mother's fault."

"Hey!" Mom interrupts.

Dad gives a sympathetic smile, "I grew up with Nonna too, I grew some balls though."

"Paul!" Mom exclaims again. "Vittoria needs to control herself and not get mad every time we tell her she can't do something."

Talia shrugs interrupting the argument sure to follow my mother's statement. "Anyway, I'm borrowing one of the cars."

"Just stay away from mine," dad adds.

Mom sighs again, "Where are you going?"

"I'm only heading to the store, mom," Talia groans before adding. "I want to know if they sell Vegemite."

"Why would you- never mind," mom waves her hand in dismissal.

I tap Talia's shoulder, "I'll go to the store for you."

"Oh thanks!" She grins at me.

I finish eating my salad and grab my car keys after mumbling a goodbye to everyone.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Talia whisper something into my mother's ear before they start to snigger at my backside while I walk out the room.

Suspicious.