XXXIV. Change of Heart

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

A LOUD BEEP from the intercom startles me as I finish up buttoning my shirt and I leave the room, heading toward the hallway to answer.

"Yes?" I ask as I press the speak button.

"Mr. Toretti, this is the concierge," a voice replies from the opposite end. 

I hum in response before muttering a yes again.

"You have a visitor, permission to go up?" The man asks.

I pause, "Let them in, thank you."

I walk to the mirror beside the hallway and unbutton my shirt, I accidentally buttoned them higher in my hurry to answer the intercom.

Focusing on buttoning the shirt up properly, I don't hear anyone enter until they clear their voice. My eyes focus on the person behind me and I raise a curious eyebrow. 

The all too familiar brunette stood mouth agape staring back at me. 

"Hey?" I send her a kind smile, to which she blushes.

"What are you doing here," I ask, my eyes skimming over her Tippy's uniform.

I wave my hand at her as she stood still frozen looking at me, this time blushing an even deeper crimson colour. I don't mind her awkward staring as I pull my hands up to my shirt.

"Take a seat," I motion toward the couch. "I'll just finish buttoning this up."

"Yeah," she squeaks, breathless. "Finish buttoning that up."

I can't help but chuckle at her as she mumbles something to herself whilst sitting down, still looking at me.

Opening the cabinet beside the mirror, I pull out a tie and make my way to Ella.

My hands fumble with the ends of the tie as I take a seat across from her.

"Is this a bad time?" she asks, her voice small.

I start to tie the tie around my collar before answering her. "Not at all, what's up?"

"I just came here to apologise," she says and drops her hands in her lap. "I'm sorry."

Did I miss something here?

"For what?" I ask, still focused on tying the tie correctly.

"Theodore, I- I actually," she pauses and takes a deep breath. "Can you just focus on what I'm saying!"

I look up at her flushed state and she avoids my stare.

"I like you," she says in an exhale.

My eyes stay focused on her face as her neck starts to get a crimson tint. She doesn't give me a chance to reply before bursting into a sweat.

"I know I'm late with you going grocery shopping with another girl and all, but it's been bothering me and I just-" She pauses. "I don't want to regret not telling you."

I raise an eyebrow, shaking my head.

"Did I say something wrong? I'm sorry, I'll leave if you want me to." She says with a frown.

I stand up, "Would you like a drink?"

She looks a bit taken aback but nods, "Water, please."

I pour a glass of water and hand her it before sitting on the Ottoman in front of her.

"Theodore," she says and sets the cup down on the table beside her. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"You've left me hanging over here," she adds.

I make myself comfortable on the chair and pull up my pants before they get a crease to face her.

"Isabella," I start. "I went shopping with Talia, not some other girl."

I'm taken aback by the squeak that escapes her, "Oh."

I nod, "Yeah."

I stand up, grabbing her empty cup and walk back to the kitchen to pour some more. I hand her the cup back again and she takes another gulp. 

"Uhm," she says nervously. "I'm sorry, again, it's just- I don't know it bothered me, I didn't even think it could've been your sister."

I nod and let out a chuckle.

"Well now you know, it was Talia," I mumble.

She sighs and covers her face with her hands before peeking at me through her fingers. 

"I'm embarrassed," she says, her voice muffled by her palms. "Kill me now."

This time a booming laugh escapes me and I edge closer to pull her hands off her face. 

"Don't look at me!" She exclaims and groans.

"Alright, alright," I raise my hands up in surrender and stand up, heading to the mirror again. 

I glance at her from the mirror as I fix my tie, "What now?"

"Oh, I don't know? Throw me off your balcony maybe?" She says rolling her eyes.

I turn to face her, "I'll gladly do so, you've made me late for my meeting."

"You said it wasn't a bad time!" She exclaims and stands up, ready to leave.

I throw a stuffed bear that's on top of the cabinet at her, "Calm down, I'm only kidding."

"Doofus," she mumbles and plops back down on the couch.

I grin at her and straighten my tie, "Seriously though, what now?"

Her face returns to the dark red that it previously was and she covers her face with her hands. "You ask me out again?"

I tiptoe in front of her and remove her hands from her face for the second time today. "Would you like to go on a date with me?"

My eyes scan her face, eventually landing onto her lips causing her to grin at me.

"Yes, I would love to go on a date with you."