XXIV. Talk It Out

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

I WALK into Tippy's with my hands in my pockets as there's a storm out and it's getting chilly.

"Hey, errand boy!" Ella's voice greets from behind the counter.

 I can't help but roll my eyes at the sarcasm in her voice. I wave at her before grabbing a shopping basket and grabbing the necessities.

I get to the counter and take out the items while Ella starts to scan them.

I look up at her and her eyes narrow slightly, "So, you work for the family, huh?"

"To be fair, you hadn't let me answer before continuing," I mumble in response. "Also, you caught me completely off guard I just had to play along."

"Technically, I sort of am an errand boy by the way," I add. "I just don't get paid."

She rolls her eyes in response, "Alright, Toretti."

"Alright, Cooper," I retort.

She drops the scanner and sighs, "Chance. Not Cooper."

I nod as she continues to scan the rest off the items while I take out the amount and slide it across to counter. 

"I take it though," I pause. "You told Kyra about your stepdad?"

She glances at me, "I had to, she noticed something was up."

"That's good," I mumble.

She nods and hands me my change before I walk out the exit.

"Thanks for asking by the way," she calls out before the doors close behind me.

*

Anger. 

Happiness.

The two opposite emotions battle for dominance while I'm stood in front of my mother's desk.

"Get out Theodore," my mother sneers at me.

My father stands up and holds onto my shoulder, "Alicia!"

I laugh in disbelief and stand up, removing my father's grip. "Goodbye Alicia."

I storm out my mother's office slamming the door in the process. 

"Téo, did you buy the cayenne pepper?" Nonna calls out as I come down the stairs.

I ignore the yelling coming from my mother's office and give Nonna a kiss on the cheek before heading out the front door colliding with Talia.

"Mom?" she asks already knowing the answer.

I nod not bothering to answer her and enter my car.

I don't look at my surroundings as I speed into Tippy's parking lot.

I grit my teeth in attempt to withhold the urge to punch something and walk into the alcohol section.

"Theo?" Her familiar voice hesitantly asks behind me. 

Ella points to the three bottles of cherry flavoured vodka's in my hands and it's only then I notice she's carrying a box. 

"It's okay i won't judge," she opens her mouth before closing it again.

Ella stands there awkwardly staring at the bottles in my arms then nods, "Well, off you go now."

"Off I go," I raise a bottle in parting as she's still rooted to her place and walk to doris with my id in hand.

Before I make it to the register Ella's soft hand grabs my bicep. 

"No alcohol," she states. 

I glare at her, "I'm legal."

"No," she states again and crosses her arms over her chest. "No cherry flavoured vodka's!"

She sighs and grabs the bottles from my arms before placing them on a shelf beside her. 

"You are going to be the reason I'll get fired," she shakes her head before grabbing my hand and dragging me out to the parking lot.

"What now?" I ask once we're stood in front of my car.

She rolls her eyes, "We're going to talk about why you want alcohol poisoning over ice cream."

"No," I shake my head at her in refusal.

She points to the car and shakes her head.

"Unlock the car Theodore."

"No."

"We're going to visit Jo wether you like it or not," she utters.

I scoff, "It's not even her shift."

"Coincidentally," she checks her watch. "She served us the same day last week and I suppose she has afternoon to evening shift- we're going to Jo's."

"Isabella," I start. "I don't want to."

She rolls her eyes and snatches the car keys out of my hand, "Get in loser, I'm driving."

I don't have time to react as she quickly hops into the driver's seat and honks the horn at me while backing up.

"Get in before I run you over Toretti!" She exclaims from the window.

Ah, shit.