XII. Scared, Kid?

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

I STRUT past her as she's still laughing on the floor and let out a chuckle myself.

I can't believe she'd just scared me.

My hand reaches for the green carton and I take out the amount before walking back to the register.

Evie, I learned was the cashier's name. The one who'd jokingly flirted with me last time.

I hand Evie the ten dollar bill just as Ella comes up behind me. 

"Scared, kid?" She sniggers.

I look back at her shorter frame beside me and wink. "Not at all, munchkin."

Evie grins at her coworker and I's encounter while handing me the change.

"Thank you," I smile back at Evie before heading to the exit.

Ella trails behind me and sprints to the side of the door before I reach them, "I'm not here to scare you again."

She raises her hands in surrender before pointing at a few buttons, "Don't call the cops on me, the doors have to be manually opened."

I nod and look out to see it's stopped raining.

"Well," she sighs. "See you next time, kid."

I think she might actually think my name is kid at this point.

I frown at her and she gives me a sheepish smile, "Sorry for scaring you?"

"Good to know you care, munchkin," I say as I start to walk out.

She gasps, "I don't care about you kid!"

I turn around and point at her, "I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, kid."

"Whatever, kid," I hear her huff as I walk back to my car.

Whatever indeed, munchkin.