XXXI. Goodbye, Doofus

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

MY FINGERS tap on the kitchen counter continuously as my mind wanders off to Talia who's screaming at the TV in the living room. 

As if yesterday wasn't bad enough with Ella, I arrived home to my mother packing my clothes into a suitcase. She's thrown me out.

 My ears focus on the sound of Talia standing up and her footsteps nearing the kitchen.

"Hey Talia," I call out.

She enters the kitchen and glares at me, "Cosa vuoi, fratello?" 

"This is- I have something serious to talk to you about." I say. 

This catches her attention and she raises her eyebrows before nodding.

"Go on," she waves her hand.

I clear my throat before opening my mouth. 

I gape like a fish before Talia rolls her eyes. "Speak dumbo, speak!"

"I'm moving out," I say quickly.

The glare on her face is wiped off as soon as I say it and is replaced by a look of disbelief. 

Shaking her head, she glances out the door into the living room where Nonna's sat down to watch her cooking show. 

"Mom's really been testing you hasn't she, God-"

"Talia, it's not just that," my fingers grip onto the kitchen stool until all colour disappears from it. 

"I'm no longer-" I stop and sigh. "They've removed me from the company as of this morning."

Her eyes bulge at my words and I continue, "I'm no longer getting anything from the company's earnings."

I explain what I myself had been told by my father's secretary this morning after the decision was made. Apparently no one dared to disagree with mother's decision during the meeting. 

"They'll help me through college but after that I'm practically on my own," I finish.

A gasp escapes her as her eyes become glossy, causing a wave of anger to course through my veins. 

She gapes at me, "Mamma e papà they've just- they've."

"Disowned me," I finish for her.

Talia shakes her head profusely as a lone tear falls onto her cheek.

"Don't argue about it, please," I add. "You know we've had a rocky relationship for as long as I can remember."

"Why did I not have a say on this," she says angrily. "I have just as much right in the company, and this family, as anyone!"

I purse my lips nervously, "Lower your voice, Nonna doesn't know." 

"I thought they don't have the patience to continue to try and continue to convince you to take over, not something this messed up!" she exclaims.

"God," she sighs and rubs her hands on her jeans. "Where the hell is she?"

"Don't," I plead. "I'm completely okay with their decision."

She rolls her eyes and sniffles, "And dad?"

I sigh, "He's not happy with the disowning part, but mom's pretty adamant."

"She doesn't want anything to do with the family disappointment," I add quietly.

The high expectations and ruthlessness are the worst things that come with having Italian parents. I, however, have gotten used to it. 

"Fine, but when are you moving out?" she asks and hiccups.

She shakes her head, "What about Nonna?"

Sighing, I glance at her on the sofa. "Don't tell her the truth, tell her I've gotten old enough to live on my own."

She lets out a chuckle, "Nineteen, you're such a grandpa right?"

"But still, she'll figure it out anyway," Talia mumbles.

I nod, "I'll tell her when mom calms down."

"You know," she shakes her head with a chuckle. "Most parents beg their kids not to move out, I think mom and dad will go have brunch in celebration."

"They'll be begging you to stay," I point a finger at her jokingly. "I'm okay with it, truly, don't worry about me."

Her face turns into a frown, "Were you allowed to tell me this or am I supposed to act surprised when they decide to tell me."

"Act surprised when they tell you," I send a small smile, hoping to rid her face of the frown."I didn't want you to freak in front of them."

She gives me sad smile, "When are you leaving?"

"Tonight or tomorrow," I whisper.

The air is knocked out of my lungs as she gives me a tight hug.

"I'll miss you, doofus."

*

A/N:

Extending Our Hearts (then named Pure) hit 1K reads on July 25th 2017 with Chapter 30!

Thank you all so much for reading my first ever story on Wattpad, it means a lot.

-May J.