XXX. Rejection

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

MY FEET stay planted on the linoleum floor as my grip on the box of spaghetti tightens until I feel the hard box dent beneath my fingers.

I let out a deep breath and look at the end of the aisle where she stood moments ago. 

Alright, maybe not moments ago.

I haven't moved an inch from when I grabbed the pasta around ten minutes ago.

My eyes continue to scan the rest of pasta boxes on the shelves whilst I contemplate what to say to Ella when I see her.

I quickly grab another box of the Italian penne and put the dented one back on the shelf before walking out the aisle. 

As I near the register I see Evie walk out the door, waving to Ella as she takes her seat. 

"Thank you so much for visiting Tippy's," she grins at the costumer before me.

I slide the packet across the counter and she lets out a breath avoiding my gaze, "That'll be five dollars."

I slide a bill of ten before coughing, "Would you like to go on a date?"

"With me," I add.

I hear a sharp breath come out of her, "That's not the value of your change Theodore."

Her eyes snap to mine before a small, barely noticeable, smile creeps onto her face. "Here's your change."

I purse my lips, "No date then?"

This time it's her who purses her lips before looking at me. 

"Theo, I'd love to but," she takes a deep breath before continuing. "I just, don't date."

My confused expression urges her to explain what she means, "Men?"

Her eyes widen and she shakes her head, "I'm very much straight."

"Then?" I ask, curious now.

She takes a deep breath before she starts, "I'm not looking for flings and I'm not sure wether what you want is something pure or, just, a fling."

"I- we can try, I promise you," I mumble.

I nod, "I can do commitment, if you want something pure then I'll do it."

Before she responds, I add. "I'll do it for you."

"I think you should take your pasta and go," she says and looks up at me expectantly.

I feel my face become heated and mumble a goodbye before walking out.

Well, that was humiliating.