XXII. Well Played

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

MY EYES scan my self in the mirror looking for any wrinkles or faults in my attire my mother could pick at.

"They're here," Talia knocks on my door before walking in. "Man, I hate dressing up for these dinners."

She looks at herself in the mirror and takes a deep breath before we both quickly run down the staircase.

We stand next to each other in the foyer while my mother welcomes them inside. 

"Welcome," dad greets them with a handshake. "These are my kids, Talia and Theodore."

I stick my hand out to Mr Cooper, "Theodore Toretti, it's a pleasure."

"Richard Cooper, good to meet you," he says and gives a firm handshake.

I smile at the blonde woman next to him, "Theodore T-"

"Helen Cooper," she interrupts before pulling me in for a hug. 

"This is my eldest daughter, Kyra," Helen says and moves to the side.

I see Richard gently push a tall blonde in front of me who awkwardly sticks out her hand, "Kyra."

Her awkward smile results in me grinning at her, we're on the same ship here Kyra. Neither of us want to be here.

"Theodore," I introduce myself.

Helen smiles at us, "I think you two will get along just great!"

Kyra and I laugh with her in agreement before following behind my mother who leads everyone into the backyard. 

Waiting until everyone is seated and only two seats are left empty, I take a seat opposite Talia who's making small talk with Kyra beside her.

I sip my glass of water quietly and listen to the others' conversation before Kyra clears her throat, interrupting the conversation.

The table goes quiet and she points back to inside the house, "Isa-"

"Oh! My other daughter went to go get the flowers in the car, I almost forgot about her," Helen interrupts.

I notice Kyra grit her teeth but nod in agreement. "Should I go get her?"

My mother shakes her head and motions for me to stand up, "No worries dear, Theodore will go."

Excusing myself, I enter from the back door and make my way down the driveway.

As I reach the inner gates, I greet the security guard who opens the guest parking gates and a large bouquet with legs walks in. Or someone's legs who are the only thing visible from behind the red lilies covering their upper body.

"Good evening," I ask once they're close enough. "Miss Cooper?"

A groan comes from behind the bouquet as they lower the bundle of flowers on the ground to greet me. "This bouquet is heavy, wow."

As soon as the brunette stretches back up and I get a good look at them, they grin and my mouth drops open.

"Theo!" Ella exclaims and opens her arms. "Do I get hug or are you going to leave me hanging?"

I take a hesitant step forward and she lunges at me, "Munchkin?"

"Hmm?"

I try and pull her away, "You're sort of choking me."

"Ah, I was hoping you'd go out slowly," she says, disappointment evident in her tone.

I look at her confused, "What?"

"I was planning to kill- oh what? What, I didn't say anything," she says and shakes her head.

As if realising the situation, she looks me up and down. "Do you work for these people?"

I chuckle, "I do, sort of."

"Huh," she says. "Are they nice? I hope they're not going to judge me, I'm the odd one out."

She has absolutely no clue.

Shrugging, I motion toward the driveway and she bends down to pick up the bouquet off the ground.

Before I offer to carry it for her, she waves me off.

"Is this why you're always at the store- running errands?" her question comes out muffled due to the posy of flowers in her hand.

I laugh once again, "Running errands, yes. Why I'm always at the store, not necessarily."

"Oh, well I'm here because Rich wants to endorse their company and my mom's sort of forcing me," she says nonchalantly as we reach the steps by the door.

I nod, opening the door and letting her enter first. "I guess we're in the same situation."

She turns to look at me while walking in the foyer, "What do you mean?"

Not a second after she finishes her question my mother walks out of the dining room and meets us in the foyer.

"You must be Isabella!" my mother exclaims as she takes the flowers from her and pulls her in for a hug. "Alicia Toretti, great to meet you."

"Follow me," mom motions toward the living room. "They're just about to start serving the appetizer."

I sigh as I lean against the doorway looking at my mother introduce Ella to everyone.

Ella takes my previous seat and I sit down beside her whilst she shoots me a confused look.

"Theodore," Helen smiles at me. "Are you to taking over your father's company?"

I sit up straight, turning in her direction. "Most likely not."

She looks at me expectantly and I lick my lips before continuing. 

"My sister seems to have a strong interest in business, she's the first option for now," I grit out the last part.

Helen nods, dropping the subject. I look up and catch at Ella staring at me with eyes as wide as saucers.

I mouth a sorry to her and she shakes her head turning a bright crimson red before leaning in, "Well played Theodore, well played."