XXIX. Lovestruck

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

I LET out a puff of air as my fingers trace the heated area on my cheek where her lips had previously been. 

My hand falls from my face as I hear Talia and Nonna's chatter break through the silence in our home making it feel much more snug in the mostly quiet household.

Another thing I somewhat despised of my parents I guess. Their cold and business orientated conversations made what's supposed to be my home feel as if I'm in a corporate office.

The occasional ring of the work phone in moms office was the sound often heard breaking the silence before mother answered the phone.

Thankfully, Nonna moved in after pops passed away a few years back.

I remember the first few weeks being relaxing besides Nonna arguing with mom every once in a while for not making time for Talia and I.

Nonna had also taken the role of the cook after the maid quit because of my mother's absolutely degrading attitude towards her.

I throw my phone beside me and stand up.

"Téo!"

Talia's voice breaks me out of my thoughts and I quickly close my bedroom door before making my way down to the living room where I'd last seen her and Nonna talking.

I round the corner of the doorway just as the two of them stand up. 

Talia points at the grey haired woman beside her, "Nonna needs some penne from the store."

"Do you want to go or should I?" She asks and lets out a yawn.

I nod, "I was actually just about to leave to buy-"

"Yeah-yeah," she waves her hand in dismissal. "Whatever."

I roll my eyes at her and walk into the kitchen for a cup of water and hear Talia's footsteps follow me.

"Pass me the iced tea," she mumbles as I open the fridge. "Please."

I hand her the yellow bottle labeled ICED T and reach for a bottle of water for myself.

Talia sighs beside me after she takes a sip of her drink. "Theo?"

I hum in response and see her glance up at me before taking a sip of her drink again.

The hesitancy is visible on her face as she glares at the floor. 

"Talia," I call out and wave a hand in front of her face.

She shakes her head, "Never mind, it's stupid."

I raise an eyebrow at her but put the bottle of water on the counter nonetheless and nod. 

"Alright then," I start to walk away before turning to see her still glaring at the floor. "I'm uh- leaving-"

"For Tippy's right?" her eyes snap up to look at mine.

I nod, "Yeah, I won't take anymore than thirty minutes."

"Later," she mumbles before throwing her bottle in the sink and speeding walking out of the room.

Well if she isn't acting particularly weird today.

I shake off her strange demeanor and walk to the foyer to grab my keys.

"Téo!" Nonna's voice breaks through the silence once again just as I open the front door.

I let out a grunt in response and hear her coming toward the foyer. 

"Buy the Italian brand, not the Americano," she points a finger at me.

I nod, "Alright, Nonna."

I walk out the front door and step into my car, revving up the engine as soon as I turn the ignition.

Ella.

My hands grip the steering wheel tighter as my thoughts once again drift back to our last encounter two days ago.

Our unplanned movie night at my apartment.

Her sleepy demeanor as she woke me up in the morning.

God, I sound lovestruck.

I put the car into park before stepping out and entering Tippy's air conditioned entrance hall.

My strides are quick as I walk toward the pasta aisle.

"Theo?" Ella's questioning voice asks from behind me.

Fuck.

What do I say to her.

Just keep walking, ignore.

"Theodore," she states confidently now.

I turn around and scan the aisles for her before I shake my head after not catching sight of her.

I hear her clear her throat and I let out a nervous chuckle upon seeing her beside me. How could I miss her?

"Hello there, munchkin," I grin.

Her eyebrows raise up as her eyes scan my outfit and moves the box she's carrying to the side to get a better view.

"I was just going to put these boxes away," she glances at the register. "Uh- wanted to say hi."

"Huh," I nod. "Hi Ella."

"Hi?" she smiles sheepishly causing the grin on my face to widen.

I sigh, "That's nice."

I rock back and forth before adding, "I'm just here to get something for Nonna."

Wait, shit.

I think I just accidentally said I didn't even want to see her.

She nods realising we look like two idiots staring at each other in the middle of the pasta aisle.

"Nonna huh?" she giggles. 

I let out a chuckle and nod.

"Well, it was nice talking to you," she grins at me. "Goodbye Theo."

I run my hands through my hair as her figure disappears into the backroom.

I huff and shake my head at myself before grabbing the pack of pasta from the shelf.

Good one, Theo.

Didn't even compliment her or anything.

A plus for effort, right?

Right?